Breather pipe connection to rocker cover broken

Hi,

Drove the Mrs' car to Manchester yesterday (about 40 miles) and noticed a hot oil smell when we arrived. Noticed it on the way back, too, when we stopped off for something to eat.

I had a nose around the car this afternoon and found the problem (attached photo).

I found this thread relating to it: 

I guess there are a few questions here:

1. Anyone else had this happen? The car is a 2014 year 1.2TSI

2. Should I be worried about the part of the assembly that must have fallen into the engine? I haven't noticed anything when I drained the oil but, then, I wasn't looking for anything, either.

3. I guess it is OK to drive as it is. It's only the crankcase gas re-circulation...?

3. If you have had this, and have fixed it yourself, where did you order the parts from?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20230802_152240.jpg

Edited by briscaF1
Added item

Rang around a couple of Skoda dealers for these parts today.

One wasn't interested in selling anything to me and just said to call up "any old VW dealer" for the parts and the other was more helpful, didn't have stock and the bits (valve, grommet) would be 30 quid Inc VAT. 

Can anyone recommend a decent VW group parts seller? There seems to be a lot around but if I searched for parts on the websites, the part numbers weren't recognised....

2 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

Rang around a couple of Skoda dealers for these parts today.

One wasn't interested in selling anything to me and just said to call up "any old VW dealer" for the parts and the other was more helpful, didn't have stock and the bits (valve, grommet) would be 30 quid Inc VAT. 

Can anyone recommend a decent VW group parts seller? There seems to be a lot around but if I searched for parts on the websites, the part numbers weren't recognised....

Try AUTODOC mate if your not in a rush I.e a week or two from Germany  , if your in a mad rush get the part number off the helpful vw garage and get on euro car parts/ eBay garage 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to revisit this - I need to sort this out.

Do I need to worry about the plastic part broken off in the rocker cover? Should I really be taking the cover off and getting this piece out rather than taking the risk of it allowing it to be chewed up in the engine and hopefully finding it's way into the filter? 

• 3 weeks later...

I did this job yesterday. It was pretty easy to do.

I removed the air flow pipe from between the turbo and the throttle body, following the guide. It needed a Torx screwdriver bit to remove from the turbo end and a bit of manhandling to get it off at the throttle body end.

I poked a thin hooked wire into the grommet and dragged it backwards; this  found that there didn't appear to be any remnants of the old, broken off plastic PCV still inside it. 

Then, I removed the old grommet with a flat blade screwdriver.

I didn't bother softening the new grommet as it seemed to fit easily into the rocker cover, then pushed the PCV "snout" into this.

Seems to all be ok.

Parts were about £26 delivered from AutoDoc as no one else seemed to have both parts in stock.

• Like 1