ANDROID RADIO HEAD PROJECT

bobspark

I was considering how to update my lash up of a Tom Tom ,Aldi DAB RADIO and dash cam fixed by elastic band to the interior mirror .One option I came across on e-bay was the Eonon Q53pro head unit specifically suited for the VW family for a cost of about £250 which included dash/rear camera and OBD2 reader.I also purchased a Eonon DAB USB stick.

One thing that attracted me Eonon has pictures of all the radios it can replace and there was a picture of the Skoda Dance Radio.

I ran the cable to rear camera by pushing into the headlining joint.Not wanting to drill the body I fixed to the plastic body of the top brake light. Also not attempting to push the plug end through the rubber gaiter I pushed a single cables through and spliced the joints. The live feed to power the camera I took from the reversing light on the nearside surprised to find a taped joint already there which I presumed powered the rear revering sensors. Should add bought cheap trim removal kit and worth every penny.

More or less a case of plug it all in and away you go ,the only niggle was the DAB aerial plug was different ,so I installed the new DAB windscreen aerial that came with the USB stick. Only afterwards to find the correct plug on some junk in my garage had I known this I could have jointed this to my old aerial and saved myself some trouble.

After several months getting used to it and gives me plenty to play with while waiting in the car for someone.

I had 60 days to send it back if not satisfied but I'm keeping it. I always though rear view cameras were wonderful but no you still have to have eyes everywhere for running pedestrians and cars shooting up fast from the side. Happy with FM and DAB and music player and the couple of times taken calls hands free. Nav systems not as good as Tom Tom but gets me there. Sound equaliser overblown with 5 screens of different settings.

Tells me which door is not closed properly whereas before would have to go round all doors till we found the right one after hearing alarm.

There are video on YouTube of people installing. Will be to complicated for the average user so I cant give an outright recommendation.

Also this was almost plug and play from past experience I treat car electrics with the greatest respect.

P106006866.jpg

P106006967.jpg