Reversing sensors

Hi all.

Yesterday after taking a BBQ out from the back I reversed out and on-screen started beeping continuously.

Checked the reversing sensors and found one had disappeared inside the bumper!

How do I get it out? I can get hold of the wire but that is wrong end.

Can I get access from the top?

Help please!!

From looking at a similar problem some while back I believe the only two ways are 1) remove the rear wheel and arch liner closest to the loose sensor and reach in or 2) remove the bumper (fiddly and involves bolts hidden up inside the trim in the luggage space).

As regards dicsonnecting one alone I suspect that would raise a fault (and a beep) which would mask off the others, but you would need to ask of the VCDS experts for a fully informed opinion.

There is always the butchers' option - cut an access hole in the lower stretch of the bumper where you would be able to reach the offending sensor, and once done either return the cut piece with some attachment (duct tape, maybe?) or cover with a larger patch and self tap or pop rivet in place.  Most people won't see such a modification but of course you will know!

The easiest way is to lay down sideways underneath the bumper.

Pull and lever open a gap between bumper and body, wedging something in the gap so as not to undo your work, then you should be able to get your arm in up to your elbow... unless you have forearms like Popeye!

Quick tip - if you need extra room to work, place a brick in the path of each rear wheel and drive up onto them, checking for security before working on the car.

I have had this happen repeatedly on my mk2 2005 elegance hatch. I remove all the torx screws to the black trim under the bumper. Reach inside and pop the sensor back in the hole now more proud than the others a little.  It’s amazing how much fresh air is behind the actual bumper. I put it down to a poor repair when the rear bumper was repaired post a rear light shunt many many years ago. 

• Like 1

Hi guys! Thanks for the prompt replies. My nephew managed to refit the sensor from a missing? plate underneath.

There looks to be 2 plates underneath and he managed to refit the damn thing. BUT the onboard display still shows a fault.

I assume I will have to reset using VCDS or disconnect battery for a while. I have a quick disconnector fitted?

• Like 1