Airbag Recall

Drewmac

Hi,Anyone else had a letter from skoda regarding airbag recall.My car is booked in on 4th october for work on replacing airbag.Was not expecting that on such a new car.Maybe just a certain batch??.Interesting to see how many are affected on this site.Cheers Andy

• Like 2

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

On so recent cars while the cars that have never been recalled is strange.

Several threads on it if you look.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/513183-recall-takata-airbag-april-2023

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/445906-airbag-recall

Screenshot 2023-09-07 12.14.14.png

Edited by toot

There is also a Government site

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk/recall-type/vehicle/make/SKODA/model/FABIA/year/2021/recalls

Some 2021 Fabia also have rear seat backrest frame which needs replacing and/or airbag

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my car went back this morning to have the airbag checked.

Unfortunately the airbag will need replacing, so I will have to wait for the dealer to order one and then come back and have it fitted.

I guess these will have to come from the Czech Republic. Am I. right?

10 minutes ago, toot said:

It could be via there, or Germany, or direct from China or elsewhere. 

Regardless of where VW / Skoda UK do not seem to think it is a Safety Critical issue, or does the DfT / VOSA. 

The cars are not coming off the road and you getting a courtesy car.

The mechanic at Willis Skoda in Ruislip. seems to think it's only a two hour job. so I might as well go for a coffee or wait.

• Confused 1

You said you will have to wait for the Dealer to order one and posted about where it might come from.

So i assume you are driving the car, so what has the time it takes to change got to do with anything.   

VW never bothered to get the items to the dealers and the dealers never bothered getting them. 

I hope VW Group are covering owners expenses for visits so that they can cover their back ends.   Pay you the hourly rate they charge customers.

Its a pain in the arse to get to from where I live, so I was hoping for a loan car. If its safe to drive as they reckon then I am happy to continue using it.

My other half has refused to sit it the front and will sit in the back.

If it only takes a couple of hours to sort it, then I might as well wait rather than get 2 buses and a train.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,A quick update on airbag recall.A phone call from dealer today and it s not good news.They informed me not to bring the car into dealership as they do nt have parts in yet,they will contact me when they do.Already waited three weeks,not happy.Anybody else had same response.Cheers Andy😒

Not putting a car into the dealership can only be good news, they wont be able to screw it up and screw you around, - look on the positive side!

@DrewmacIngram Skoda Ayr need to be pushing Skoda / VW because there must be a Safety Critical Recall here and they should be sure those that bought vehicles are driving safe ones before supplying new cars to others.

VW / Skoda are very tight about splashing cash & getting in a timely manner the parts that they need to for vehicles they have already been paid for.

I took mine in on the 19th Sep and they confirmed it would need replacing and they will order one. It will be 2 weeks on Tuesday, so I will give them a ring for an update if I have not heard anything in the meantime. 

As Drewmac has already been waiting 3 weeks, I wont hold my breath.

Edited by Hobbayne

Hi Guys,Another update,call from dealer not bring car to dearers.Don t have parts and will phone when they do.Whilst out walking we ran into service agent from dealer,he says it could be soon or much later, (i.e months).,not happy at all.This is a national recall with dealers wanting these parts to fix cars.skoda should be have made sure to have parts before sending out recall.It makes me want to get rid of my car,bbut will dealers take the car knowing of impending slow  recall.Anybody had same  call as me.Cheers Andy😐😐🤨

Recalls are a warning to users that an issue has been found with a component. If the manufacturer delays the recall until they are fully stocked with replacement parts, imagine what would happen if someone is injured before the issue is declared. At least you have the option to use your vehicle, or not, after the recall is declared. 

Your choice. 

It is not showing as a DVLA Safety Critical Recall maybe because VW Group convinced VOSA / DfT that it is not, or just never told them of the issue and all the other cars not dealt with over the past 20 years with Airbag faults or possible faults.

When the 1.5TSI ACT engine cars from 2018 were a Safety Critical Recall then cars were taken off the road and VW Group / Skoda UK had to provide cars and some for many months.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

So they have a Recall Action, a Service Campaign, a Workshop Action, not a proper Safety Critical Recall.

What is there is the RECALL from 22 years ago.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 2.39.11 PM.png

Edited by toot

• 2 weeks later...

hi Guys,Phone call from dealer today.Airbag finally arrived .Booked in for 30th october,still another few weeks but end in sight,hopefully no more problems or recalls.cheers Andy😃😄☺️