Power loss

stevoablett

Good day, 

I need some advice on 2011 roomster 1.2tsi 86hp model. 

This morning I set off and all seemed well at first,  then it started to struggle uphill a bit and the arrow gear indicator told me to drop down a gear, I did that and it just revved more but no appreciative increase in speed. Even at 60mph when it met a hill it would tell me to drop down even when not necessary,  I couldn't seem to get more than 60mph. I noticed when parking up after the journey thar it seems to be ticking over at 1000rpm, when usually it tics over at 700rpm. The revs are steady and not wavering.

I fitted new plugs, leads, air filter, oil and filter some 1000miles ago.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

Stephen 

23 minutes ago, stevoablett said:

Code P3OC000 fuel quality poor. I filled tank nearly full and now it's half way down, so doubt it's poor quality fuel.

Hello Steve, quantity doesn't equal quality  it is possible that you have picked a contaminated batch of fuel (or mis-fuelled) and it has taken a little time for it mix with the tank contents. Water entrained in the latest fill up could do this. 

Edited by Warrior193
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edbostan said:

I presume the turbo kicks in above 1500 rpm

Good point, that will require real-time data monitoring to check, but draining tank and refilling would be my first port of call. 

Edited by Warrior193

Hello @stevoablett I have looked up your fault code - a 1.4TSI driver on the VW forum posted the same fault (012480 - P30C0-00, fuel quality) - soft limp mode.

Suggested causes were - 

- 1- possible faulty knock sensor, or -

- 2, internal damage (broken piston ring lands) in engine causing detonation (pinking) and triggering the knock sensor, which is not able to retard the ignition timing any further. - compression check is required to check for this.

Original poster on the VW forum eventually cured his issue by using a proprietary fuel injector cleaner. Good luck.

Edited by Warrior193
added information
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 11:34, stevoablett said:

I don't know to tell the truth. It's never been quick but now it's very slow.

Select 2nd gear and drive below 1500rpm. Press accelerator and feel the pull when turbo kicks in above 1500rpm.

Edited by edbostan

Edbostan,

I will try this later, thanks.

The story so far. I put a shot of Redex into half a tank on Monday and to my amazement things improved a fair bit. Then on Friday I put €40 of petrol from Cicle K and another shot of Redex and a much further improvement. The tickover has now returned to around 700 rpm from earlier in the week when it was 1100rpm. I shall see how things are today. I'm thinking it was poor quality fuel as the Redex may have given it a boost. But the biggest improvement was the fresh petrol.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevoablett said:

Edbostan,

I will try this later, thanks.

The story so far. I put a shot of Redex into half a tank on Monday and to my amazement things improved a fair bit. Then on Friday I put €40 of petrol from Cicle K and another shot of Redex and a much further improvement. The tickover has now returned to around 700 rpm from earlier in the week when it was 1100rpm. I shall see how things are today. I'm thinking it was poor quality fuel as the Redex may have given it a boost. But the biggest improvement was the fresh petrol.

Regards

Steve

Rare but not unheard of for fuel station tanks to be miss-fuelled at tanker drop. I once fuelled at a remote place, seems that their tank was contaminated with water - it took about 50 miles for the problem to become obvious. 

After going out yesterday I'm happy to say that the car is running A1, 100%. I'm just going to assume it was indeed poor quality petrol.

The turbo is now definitely working, with hindsight I don't think it was earlier in the week. I don't know if poor quality petrol would stop the turbo working. 

Thanks to all of you for your comments/ thoughts with diagnosis.

Steve

• Like 2