Brake discs - front

Need to replace front discs on my 2008 diesel 1.9, but there seems to be two options available: one 22mm thick / 280 mm dia; and the other 25mm thick / 288mm dia

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-discs

I appreciate  that there's not a lot in it, but wondered if there's a correct on to go for?

Can you find a copy of the options sticker for your car?  It would be in the service book or attached to the shoulder of the spare wheel well behind the carpet.

6 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Can you find a copy of the options sticker for your car?  It would be in the service book or attached to the shoulder of the spare wheel well behind the carpet.

Thanks, I'll have a look in the morning. What will this tell me - the precise part code?

36 minutes ago, mark antony said:

Thanks, I'll have a look in the morning. What will this tell me - the precise part code?

It will give you a list of the option code (aka PR codes) which will tell you which options went into the vehicle build.  Unfortunately, having checked the options codes for the four Octy 2s we have or have had they don't list the front brakes 😞

Plan B; go to LLL Parts catalogue page 2008 O2 front brakes and use the email there to send your VIN and ask them which disks you need.  That should get you a part number.

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 1

I believe the easiest way is to look at the calipers, the smaller disc setup uses calipers marked FS-III.

The larger setup is marked FN3.

Edited by MicMac

EBC on autodoc thinks you have 280x22mm front brakes, but compare the following photos of the front brake calipers to be sure.

280x22mm front brakes 1ZF (ATE brake system)

thumb?id=955168&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=94077844

288x25mm front brakes 1ZE (ATE brake system)

thumb?id=14761113&m=0&n=3&lng=en&ccf=94077844

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

On 20/09/2023 at 01:06, Carlston said:

EBC on autodoc thinks you have 280x22mm front brakes, but compare the following photos of the front brake calipers to be sure.

280x22mm front brakes 1ZF (ATE brake system)

thumb?id=955168&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=94077844

288x25mm front brakes 1ZE (ATE brake system)

thumb?id=14761113&m=0&n=3&lng=en&ccf=94077844

Spoiler

Confirmed that it's the smaller disc, after comparing images and FS III clearly cast into the calipers.

Thanks to Carlston and MicMac.

I'm of an age where I started out on MK2 Cortinas and if you had a question you were limited to who you directly know, now the support network is somewhat wider!

Thanks all

IMG_20230924_112635.jpg

Thanks all.

Picture and FS III cast into caliper confirms smaller disc.

I'm of an age where I started out on MK2 Cortinas, and if you had a question, then you could only call on who you knew. Now the network is a little bigger!

• Like 1