Kamiq tyres

fergiet

A few punctures in the last couple of weeks, nails etc.

Wondering what the best tyres are for the 18" rims?

Just thinking that one or two tyres may need replacing.

Currently on the ones fitted by the factory, Goodyear.

Any suggestions and advice welcome👍

If you live in Scotland then rather pointless having summer tyres, unless you also keep set of winter wheels.  If you want same tyres all year then get all seasons.

Not that many in obscure size of 215/45 R18

I would pick any of Continental all season contact, Michelin cross climate 2 or Vredestein Quatrac pro +

• Love it! 1

I have a VW California as my main vehicle and waiting for the Kamiq to arrive but on the VW 18" wheels I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin cross climate 2's.

Awesome!

Great all rounders.

If I was changing all 4 tyres then Cross climate 2 would be a no brainer. I have a set of winters  so hard to justify otherwise.

Don't understand why all season tyres are not a factory option on the Kamiq.

• Haha 1

Because it is FWD hatch back and it might be called a Crossover or even a Small EV but it is no different from a Fabia or Scala or a Octavia really.

& Because really not an Option on any Model in the UK other than they were with Octavia. 

There was an All Season / All Weather option, as in 3 Peak Winter Certificated.   (But Skoda UK did not even know what the tyres would be that showed as an option.)

*There is a couple of threads on that from people wanting tyres Winter Certificated for going abroad.)

The issue is the Lost in Translation.   They sell the cars into the UK with All Season tyres.  There for 365 days a year and all season but they are 'Summer Tyres', not that good in the wet, the cold, snow or anything much but great for a WLTP / RDE2 result.  ECO bias tyres.

• Love it! 1

I’ve been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER used winter tyres in the winter, and thus far I’ve never even been close to having a snow/ice related incident, leads me to believe it’s a bit of a marketing ploy which many people fall for.

Granted, if I lived in Iceland or Canada I’d probably consider it, but here in the UK we might get a few inches at worst…..nothing a standard tyre can’t handle (provided you drive accordingly).

Im sure the winter wheel/tyre fans will have a pop at me and that’s fine, but in my opinion they are not needed (not for me anyway).

If you are concerned just go for an all weather tyre, covers all bases 👍

Edited by carefree
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, carefree said:

I’ve been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER used winter tyres in the winter, and thus far I’ve never even been close to having a snow/ice related incident, leads me to believe it’s a bit of a marketing ploy which many people fall for.

Granted, if I lived in Iceland or Canada I’d probably consider it, but here in the UK we might get a few inches at worst…..nothing a standard tyre can’t handle (provided you drive accordingly).

Im sure the winter wheel/tyre fans will have a pop at me and that’s fine, but in my opinion they are not needed (not for me anyway).

I'm not going to have a pop, and until 4 years ago took same view

Then I discovered that the tyres the car came with were skittish on colder mornings when damp, even when was nearer +6c.  And pulling out of side turnings on cold wet days managed to spin the wheels (on a 1 litre with DSG in normal mode).  My commute was partly along a country A road that suffered muddy field run off.

Bought set of winter tyres, then discovered didn't need to drive accordingly, as bit of frost, or cold rain, didn't trouble them and could drive like a dry summers day.

And the handful of days we had snow in 4 years, turned out to be brilliant, passing cars stranded all over the place.  Although did shock myself glancing at speedo on a winding B road when I found I was doing 45mph on few inches of snow. The snow had killed any noise, and car tracked like any other day.

Nowadays having found they are safer in cold rain (which occurs for months in UK), so I am a convert, can't tell difference between about 11c and 20c, but far superior below +10c, even if don't get any snow.   Might be in south of country but have some hills nearby around Bath and Mendips, and knowing can have a freak snowstorm and can drive home is reassuring.

Just about to switch the wheels, and put winters back on, my car has now done 53,000 miles, is 5.2 years old, still using the 4 original summer tyres, and the winters all have 6-7mm of tread.  So by switching wheels around to even out wear looks like will be 70k+ miles before I next need tyres, so compared to those who buy 2 new tyres every 20-25k miles has worked out cheaper.  Safer and Cheaper so what's not to like

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Love it! 2

@carefreeNot a pop but it would be good if you said 'where in the UK it is your are driving during winter months'.

Is it in any hilly areas, areas with roads that do not get salted / gritted or any area where people might take part in Winter Sports out doors, not just at a Indoor Ski Slope or Ice Rink or Ice Wall?

• Haha 1

As I’ve said before, I am in Essex BUT I live in very rural Essex where the nearest gritted road is approx 2 miles from my house.  Yes, Essex doesn’t get the snow that say Scotland gets BUT snow is snow and ice is ice and we get our fair share.  I’ve just never felt the need to go to the trouble of swapping my wheels/tyres for a handful (if that) of days each winter.

Not knocking those who do, just saying it’s not for me.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

There is no doubt the rubber compounds and tread patterns will bias a tyres effectiveness in summer and winter conditions. As will your driving style, speed and location.

So perhaps a summer tyre will get you through a mild town and city winter especially if you are driving appropriately. On the other hand if you want to throttle it a bit on untreated roads in rural highlands you might have a nasty shock.

But yeah, there is some market hype and all weathers and smart driving will usually see most through.

• Groan 1

LOL at Essex.     Rishi Sunak thinks Manchester is in the North. 

EDIT,  then Hampshire.  

There are more RWD or AWD BMW,s or actually even Range Rovers slip sliding in Glasgow than further north if it gets a bit icy. 

Glasgow is in the South of Scotland and maybe a but North of the North of England which is not that far up the UK.

Edited by toot

48 minutes ago, toot said:

LOL at Essex.     Rishi Sunak thinks Manchester is in the North. 

EDIT,  then Hampshire.  

There are more RWD or AWD BMW,s or actually even Range Rovers slip sliding in Glasgow than further north if it gets a bit icy. 

Glasgow is in the South of Scotland and maybe a but North of the North of England which is not that far up the UK.

I thought Winchester was North 😄

Its further north than me, darn near London I might say which is pretty close to Norway.🤡

On 08/10/2023 at 20:37, carefree said:

Well I live in Scotland and often drive were there is snow and ice. All season tyres e.g .Mich cross climate cover these conditions. Nov to April summer tyres don't.

They also are better in low temperature (<8°) even without snow/ice. We don't get as much snow as we used to but low temperatures are common.