LPFP Upgrades

Hi All

I'm trying to see/source an upgrade for the Low pressure fuel pump for the 280 AWD.  The fuel basket part no is 3Q0919051B and would the same as the B8 Passat/ Arteon 280 AWD.

The fuel basket & fuel lines is a different sent up to the Golf R so there is very limit information about, Ideally looking a Uprated LPFP which would handle 600bhp+ .  

Have contacted Galano Engineering in Austrailia who have managed to do one for the Superb but haven't got any in stock and don't know when the next batch will be.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hi Keith, Yes I did!!! So a RS3 LPFP fuel basket drops straight in and all you need to do source the wiring harness from the states.  There is no coding needed!

Its the best solution for it better than trying to fit a new lpfp into the existing basket.

AWD MQB RS3 Pump Hardware and Harness Kit – SC SkunkWerks 

Edited by Awesam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KeithRBrown said:

Cheers Awesam.

I'll pass this info onto the garage who are doing the upgrades/tuning.

What are you having done? 

I've owned my 2018 Superb 280 L&K from new, and I thought about changing it last year, but there was nothing I fancied (in my price range).

Since I love the car, I decided to stick with it, but looked into getting a bit more power out of it.

After shopping around, I went with a couple of local businesses here in the North East of England. Firstly I went for a turbo back custom exhaust system - 3 inch bore, sport cat, back box (and hence valve) delete, and large central silencer. It's a bit loud for me (actually it's more the resonance), so I'll probably get this sorted in the future.

Next, I got a Forge Intercooler, Ramair Induction Kit and Forge Muffler Delete fitted. Then it went on the dyno.

I ended up with 396bhp / 526Nm (graph attached), which was pretty much where I was aiming. It was a relatively warm day when it went on the dyno, so on a colder day it possibly could have done just over 400bhp.

Unfortunately, just before Christmas, my stock turbo went up in a cloud of smoke. Since then it's been in the garage, where they've mainly been waiting for parts.

I've now had fitted a new Garrett Powermax Turbo (Stage 1), and upgraded HPFP, with it ready to go on the dyno next week. I'm hoping for about 480bhp, but time will tell.

The biggest delay they've had though is in trying to source an upgraded LPFP. They initially thought a Golf R / Audi S3 one might fit, but this proved incorrect (hence my question to you earlier).

They're going to map it with the stock LPFP in place, but if this proves to be the bottleneck, I wanted to better understand my options.

382940155_768951795031150_1018837916945826434_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Stock LPFP will do up to 500bhp with ease.

I was running 540bhp with meth on it with no issue. I think it would probably max out at between 530-550bhp with no meth and about 580bhp with meth. 

I upgraded as I'm got fully built engine now. 

• Like 1

Not possible with Powermax stage 1 to go to 480. You will be happy if it goes over 460hp, even with HPFP. 
520nm is already limit for stock engine, so be aware.

It would be great that you provide both curves on the same graph chart: for stage 2 and stage 3.

Looking at https://scskunkwerks.com/en-gb/products/awd-mqb-rs3-pump-hardware-and-harness-kit suggests it shouldn't be run unless there's an ECU tune.

Would that be the case? Just thinking ahead, and if I was to sort this out, but before getting at least a stage 1 ECU tune, would there be any danger? Or would it actually make sense to do it after?

Not sure how or if the remaps affect the fuel pumps directly. It's probably overkill this early on anyway I suppose. Maybe due to me planning seat removal for a clean, so probably good as time as any to look at the fuel pump whilst it's accessible.

Mines was dropped straight in with the new forge engine being run in for over 500 miles with no issues then it went for a tune. So you would change before tuning and this is not needed for stage 1 or 2, only at stage 3. 

• Like 1

I think it only changes let's say multiplicator value for the pump voltage.

For example if it pumps 3bar at 6v and 6bar at 12v, new one shoukd have coefficient less than 1, so 5v is 3bar and 10v is 6bar.

This is simplified solution.

It will pump 7.2bar at 12v then.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking in my head a pump that can do 600hp+ will have an easier time handling 350-400 than one that can do 450-500hp.

So I guess it needing to deliberately wind it down voltage/power does makes sense, and it wouldn't be knowing to do that by default.

Either I'm overthinking and overengineering the problem or really really really planning ahead.

On 01/03/2024 at 23:51, KeithRBrown said:

I've owned my 2018 Superb 280 L&K from new, and I thought about changing it last year, but there was nothing I fancied (in my price range).

Since I love the car, I decided to stick with it, but looked into getting a bit more power out of it.

After shopping around, I went with a couple of local businesses here in the North East of England. Firstly I went for a turbo back custom exhaust system - 3 inch bore, sport cat, back box (and hence valve) delete, and large central silencer. It's a bit loud for me (actually it's more the resonance), so I'll probably get this sorted in the future.

Next, I got a Forge Intercooler, Ramair Induction Kit and Forge Muffler Delete fitted. Then it went on the dyno.

I ended up with 396bhp / 526Nm (graph attached), which was pretty much where I was aiming. It was a relatively warm day when it went on the dyno, so on a colder day it possibly could have done just over 400bhp.

Unfortunately, just before Christmas, my stock turbo went up in a cloud of smoke. Since then it's been in the garage, where they've mainly been waiting for parts.

I've now had fitted a new Garrett Powermax Turbo (Stage 1), and upgraded HPFP, with it ready to go on the dyno next week. I'm hoping for about 480bhp, but time will tell.

The biggest delay they've had though is in trying to source an upgraded LPFP. They initially thought a Golf R / Audi S3 one might fit, but this proved incorrect (hence my question to you earlier).

They're going to map it with the stock LPFP in place, but if this proves to be the bottleneck, I wanted to better understand my options.

382940155_768951795031150_1018837916945826434_n.jpg

Had mine in there couple of weeks ago , great set of lads and did see yours on the ramps as thats where i wanted to go powermax p1 route or stay at stage 2 still in 2 minds.

I'm not to far from you (durham) and have couple questions if its ok to message, i still own my old tfsi 2005 🤣 but not long acquired a 280 2018 L&K with 28K miles so still like new. 

From looking around over the last 6 month people using just HPFP internals and no LPFP upgrades but would love to see what other mods and your end result is. 

Im busy looking for sports cat (pref) over decat to save the drone and wondered if gold r/cupra are same fitting as the skoda.

thanks liam 

• Like 1

Personally I would stay at stage 1 and save the money! I went from stock to stage 3 and learnt the hard way. 

A Golf R /Leon Estate exhaust would with modifications. 

Hi @Liam1809,

Feel free to message me if you'd like any more details on what I've had done, and the experience I've had.

My car is still at DT, as they've hit issues with the new turbo, so I don't yet know what the end result will be like. Watch this space! 👀

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2024 at 11:35, Awesam said:

Personally I would stay at stage 1 and save the money! I went from stock to stage 3 and learnt the hard way. 

A Golf R /Leon Estate exhaust would with modifications. 

Why that?

19 minutes ago, Bingodalton said:

Why that?

1. Value for money/cost effcient based on the performance you get.   

2. The place to truly appreciate Stage 2 & 3 is on a track as you realise that you run out of road alot sooner than you think without being reckless.

3. When things go wrong its costly to get fixed! 

From experience,  400bhp on UK roads is more than enough, I would even 300bhp is.  

Ok, for somebody even 150bhp is enough, for others 600bhp is not.

Value for money, I agree with you, but it is all up to personal preferences.

Only drawback I would accept is reliability of the setup. Everything else is personal choice.

I thought you had some big issues.

You could run PowerMax Stage 1 without Intercooler and Downpipe and it will bring you to 400bhp. I think it would be reliable as any Stage 1 car, but somehow it is Stage 3 having in mind turbo mod.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Bingodalton said:

Ok, for somebody even 150bhp is enough, for others 600bhp is not.

Value for money, I agree with you, but it is all up to personal preferences.

Only drawback I would accept is reliability of the setup. Everything else is personal choice.

I thought you had some big issues.

You could run PowerMax Stage 1 without Intercooler and Downpipe and it will bring you to 400bhp. I think it would be reliable as any Stage 1 car, but somehow it is Stage 3 having in mind turbo mod.

😁 I've had quite a few issues getting to over 600bhp, mostly to other people's incompentence so have learnt the hardway.  

Edited by Awesam

35 minutes ago, Awesam said:

😁 I've had quite a few issues getting to over 600bhp, mostly to other people's incompentence so have learnt the hardway.  

What bhp have you managed get to? Are you done now, or do you have further plans?

Posted (edited)

Just over 600, I need to go in for final map tweak, should see between 610 - 620 and pretty much done now as for power wise. 

The next step would to put an RS3 engine in which very unlikely to happen. 

Edited by Awesam
  • Like 1