Gutted

1 hour ago, Ollythewolly said:

Yeah was a woman, said she had a funny turn, i believe she was on her phone. Stress i didn't need.

Were the Police notified? They could prove whether or not she was on the phone.

• Like 2

Yes the police were involved, they tried to breathalyser buy after multiple attempts thye let her off as she was a Muslim (i dont think she had been drinking &car was mobility but she was only 43yr old) the police officers who turned up were very young and not very helpful, I wasn't angry its pointless not like it will fix there cars just annoying as ill probably end up out of pocket.

IMG_20231013_151541.jpg

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear this. (spelling)

Motability have just last month changed their insurers to Direct Line.    (Which is a good thing.)

She will be well looked after, just make sure you are by our Insurer who have or should have no problem having Direct Line make them whole so you as well. 

Screenshot 2023-10-14 06.08.48.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 06.09.10.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 06.09.36.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 06.09.52.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

All the ingredients for a recipé for disaster.

Cars parked on pavement both sides of the road.

Driver on mobile phone.

Driving free car that they dont have any investment in.

Expect to be doorstepped by some very aggressive recovery drivers either from your insurer or Direct Line insisting that they take your vehicle away, don't let them!

Direct Line being pro-active will probably contact you to try and use their claim handling service, courtesy car, repairers (unlikely in this instance) etc, as you have no personal injury that might not be a bad thing, they are pretty good.

• Groan 1

@J.R. You do talk some rubbish.

Not their car but they pay £71 a week for it and paid an Advance Payment to lease it.

Maybe a couple of thousand pound.    So not even taking the increase each year on paying over their PIP it is £11,000 plus payments & that £2,000 or whatever.  £13,000 for 3 years.

The thing is is the driver the Person leasing or a named driver on the insurance?    That can be several Named Drivers with a Motability Car.

Be sure that the Persons ID is one on Motability & Direct Lines insurance.       Often drivers of Motability vehicles might not be the Named ones, or even anything to do with who leases the car.

ie, 

not the disabled person, spouse / partner / family / carer etc.

• Like 1

Its a dual carriageway thats well over a mile long and straight, after years of campaigning the residents have finally got average speed cameras fitted (as we speak) so not fully operational yet. I always try park my car well on to the pavement as its a wide pavement aswell. You are right to a degree  and Mistakes happen.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, toot said:

@J.R. You do talk some rubbish.

Not their car but they pay £71 a week for it and paid an Advance Payment to lease it.

Maybe a couple of thousand pound.    So not even taking the increase each year on paying over their PIP it is £11,000 plus payments & that £2,000 or whatever.  £13,000 for 3 years.

It was based on what you wrote in the last couple of weeks about how your vehicles were paid for.

What is PIP? Money recieved to purchase a car or for transport/adaption etc? That is what I meant by having no (personal) financial investment in, it would have been the same comment if it were a company car driven negligently that had caused the accident.

If the PIP recipent gets another Motability vehicle at the end of the 3 year period what happens to the £2K that you speak of, is it lost and they have to stump it up again or does it or a portion of it roll over?

I have always considered you a canny Scot, you have several vehicles of your own so I assumed that you would not have an additional Motability vehicle if it wasn't financially beneficial.

Edited by J.R.

Better have this in another thread like a Mobility one of which there are in General Automotive chat.

But since you ask.   Personal Independent Payment and the higher Mobility Components or DLA Higher Mobility Component to Lease a car from Motability the Charity.

Money recieved to do what you want with for you mobility / transport needs, or whatever, but some lease a car from Motability, or buy / lease cars from where ever using the money.

Some even Lease EV.s and pay £5,000 - £8,000 in an Advance Payment, or get a grant to pay that, and get adaptions.

Motability have about £2.8 Billion in their funds at present & own however many cars / vehicles,  300,000 plus i think.   

These go to BAC to be auctioned at end of lease.   Usually @ 3 years or some sooner, but they can be kept for 4 or 5 years if low annual mileage or during shortages / long waiting times currently for some.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 11.44.44.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

I was asked by my insurance if i wanted a claim company to contact me, i rejected as i thought how could it help me? I wasn't in the car so what can i actually claim for, i just want a fair valuation so i can get like for like. 

Any help is much appreciated 

• Like 2

Thank you, its as I thought, you are right to challenge the notion of "Free car" but it is in my view free when compared to someone not in reciept of benefits and who has to save the money to purchase a vehicle, pay for all its repairs and maintenance and insurance out of their own funds that they have worked for. Comparable to a company car where the driver will have paid extra taxes.

The point I was making is that the OP (not knowing their situation) could well be in a big hole through losing their vehicle through the actions of someone who had not the same investment in theirs and for whom a new vehicle will be provided relatively painlessly, the same as if it were a company car.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

All the ingredients for a recipé for disaster.

Cars parked on pavement both sides of the road.

Driver on mobile phone.

Driving free car that they dont have any investment in.

Expect to be doorstepped by some very aggressive recovery drivers either from your insurer or Direct Line insisting that they take your vehicle away, don't let them!

Direct Line being pro-active will probably contact you to try and use their claim handling service, courtesy car, repairers (unlikely in this instance) etc, as you have no personal injury that might not be a bad thing, they are pretty good.

I'm just reading this with disbelief.

OP said that he BELIEVED she was on a mobile phone. Unless someone saw her on a mobile then he has no evidence of it. Respondant replies  ' Driver on mobile phone'?

OP says police let her off because she was a Muslim 😲   The police that turned up were only young so obviously they didnt know what they were doing...   WTF   Nothing like stereotyping eh?

As for mobility driving 'free'  cars  -  I find that level of ignorance shocking. Let's just insult all those on mobility while we're at it. 

If Toot is correct then it's the 3rd party who may be insured by Direct Line - why would they be contacting the OP offering courtesy cars etc when the money is likely to be coming out of their own pockets?   It'll be the OP's own insurers who'll be handling his claim - they're the ones who may pursue additional costs ( assuming he has legal cover ).

And then irony of all ironies - the OP has just said  " I always try to park my car well on to the pavement ".  And he gets hit by a mobility driver.  Some might call that Karma.

Trying to up the intelligence a little ( not hard !  )

OP  -  from those pics it's almost guaranteed your car will be written off.  If your Octavia is a 2004 model as indicated by the reg, then best thing you can do right now is start your homework looking at how much a replacement will cost. If you've just spent £800 tidying the car up then think of it as seeking a better direct replacement than you would have if you hadn't spent that £800. Your insurer will make you an offer so best have all the data to hand as soon as they do.

Some will say you only receive the cars trade value. That's true but you have to buy a replacement and the difference between your cars trade value and buying a replacement is called uninsured losses which as it's clearly the fault of the 3rd party. As per above, if you have legal cover then your own insurance should be doing that for you, if not, then you do that yourself or contact someone like Skoda Ensurance. ( be warned, their goalis making money for themselves ).

One trick you can play if there's any problem is to keep a courtesy car / rental car for as long as possible. The 3rd party will want to settle the claim a.s.a.p. rather than keep forking out for an expensive rental car !

Good luck.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im only going off what my eye witness was telling me said she was very close if not always in the cycle lane (presume to be on phone why didnt the police check). And it a massive pavement i would never intentionally block for prams or disability access. If she is a practicing muslim (which i believe she was) i wouldn't question here drinking but when there has been a coalition surely its not an excuse. I do appreciate your comments helping with insurance  car hire

Thank you

• Like 1

@Ollythewolly

Be sure that the driver is matching Photo ID for the Named Driver.

Reason i say this is the driver that crashed into me did not have ID or even know their name and called someone who arrived and gave a name & details.

They were not who they pretended to be or even the nationality of the person insured, i checked Facebook etc got their picture and proof for my insurer.

Turned out my Insurance and theirs was owned by the same Insurance company and they were going knock for knock.

As it was the driver worked for the company that had the Group Insurance that had their fleet vehicles, they were a valeter and car delivery person and had no licence.

I got my total losses covered and no hit at the next renewal but then i had different policies and some without NCB, and some with.

• Like 2

Aren't we forgetting the utter abhorrence that someone in charge of a vehicle hit another parked vehicle not even fully situated on a straight road and in good daylight.

The streets aren't stock car circuits, look at the rear of the Octy and imagine if you were a cyclist or your children were on the pavement.

Other than having "a funny turn" which should be checked (think Glasgow bin lorry driver) there's no real excuse for such an event as it's not a high speed blind bend requiring driving skills, just that you focus on the task at hand... driving at moderate speed with all due care and attention on a straight road where pedestrians/pets could suddenly present a danger.

As it is both parties involved will feel the financial and mobility impact more or less and no doubt it'll just be another statistic that justifies increasing insurance premiums.

At least no life was lost.