Cutting out when going into reverse

On 21/11/2023 at 03:08, Palatinux said:

If the the car is parked in 1st gear, start the engine, put it in reverse while the clutch in pressed. Does it still run?

Or does it cut off (a few secondes) after you very gently lift your foot of the clutch pedal?

Is your instrument cluster still working if it cuts out and the time on it still set after?

It cuts out as reverse is about to be engaged ( I assume when the reverse light switch is activated) 

On 20/01/2024 at 12:40, Palatinux said:

I completely agree with your perspective, and I've shared similar thoughts. However, the 'jumper-cable' test I mentioned earlier seems to be a crucial aspect that we haven't explored yet. Neglecting this test is akin to searching for a needle in a haystack. It's essential that we address this aspect to ensure a comprehensive evaluation.

Until that moment arrives, regrettably, I won't be able to offer any further assistance.

Tried your suggestion. Makes no difference. Thank you for the help though it's appreciated:)

So anyways update for anyone whos actually following or even remotely interested. 

Replaced the main battery live as per electricians diagnosis. (No change ). 

Load sensor wire was snapped off (bypassed the connector and soldered the wires together (no change ). 

Car is intermittent and sometimes still start and run fine (rare now) it starts first time everytime (but no power steering)

Car will cut out when I attempt to engage reverse or use the windscreen washer. Funny thing is, if I pull on the windscreen washer for 3 seconds while turning the car over, let go the stalk and it will start and the electrics etc all good. (At least no can steal it :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2024 at 18:23, Johnnynapalm said:

Anyways I've had enough. Need it to be reliable for work. Think I'm gonna for a kia picanto gt line . The fab is the best car I've ever had and I will miss it 😞

I understand your concerns. Given that you're experiencing multiple issues related to various components like the PAS, screen-washer, and reverse lights, it's likely that the problem lies in the main wiring loom beneath the battery tray.

If the issue is solely due to water infiltration in the cables, the car should perform (mostly) without problems when conditions are dry and warm.

If you're unable to diagnose the problem yourself, it might be more practical to consider purchasing a new car. Many mechanics struggle with diagnosing such complex issues.

In my experience, pinpointing the exact issue can sometimes take days unless it's immediately obvious. A good starting point would be to check the fuses.

If you're considering the Picanto, I'd suggest opting for the 3-cylinder versions for better fuel economy, even though they may feel a bit rough and underpowered at low RPMs. Alternatively, the 4-cylinder variant offers a smoother ride. However, I'd advise against the GT line due to its turbocharger, which could become problematic in the long run.

The OP has already homed in on the exact cause but I suspect that he does not realise.

On 07/04/2024 at 18:04, Johnnynapalm said:

I have gotten around this now by pulling the reverse light fuse :)

Edited by J.R.

Update. I read on another forum (a VW golf one ) of someone having the exact same issue as mine. (Cutting out going into reverse and other gremlins). Guy had tried loads of different things and then replaced  the ignition switch just to see (which cured his problem ). So, I removed the ignition switch, took it apart and sprayed gt85 inside. Buttoned it all back up and it's running perfect again !....very pleased and the fab lives on :)

• Like 2