Cutting out when going into reverse

Another option would be a broken wire / connector that moves around when the engine tilts when going into reverse. Often those who have a direct connection between the chassis en the engine.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply's lads. I had the AA out last night and after a diagnostic,  the guy seems to think its an injector misfiring causing the issue.  Could this be be the case? 

When i engage reverse, all power is cut including ignition lights, and i can hear a click of a relay near to the fuse box as i engage reverse (this is also when the engine isn't running). Its intermittent but its doing it more often that not.  

Its in for diagnostic at my trusted garage this weekend but would appreciate any other thoughts?

Is it worth replacing the reverse light switch ? could that be the issue ?

Cheers all

It seems a little unlikely that an injector would fault only when engaging reverse gear - as per other suggestions, I'd be inclined to look for an electrical fault.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

It seems a little unlikely that an injector would fault only when engaging reverse gear - as per other suggestions, I'd be inclined to look for an electrical fault.  

Yeah agreed, as the electrics cut out completely when the engine is off. )when reverse is engaged)

Seems to me that your earth cable near your gearbox is a loose swing-along.

If you have a starter cable, try to connect it to the bracket of the alternator and negative of the battery.

If this solves the issue, check all the ground connections.

I read that several times before it dawned on me you were referring to a "jump lead" starter cable 🤔

I thought you meant the main 12v starter cable and could envisage the results of a massive short circuit, relieved when I saw you had specified connecting it between battery negative and the alternator bracket, no short circuit but no engine start either, it certainly could not cut out in neutral 😄

36 minutes ago, Palatinux said:

Seems to me that your earth cable near your gearbox is a loose swing-along.

If you have a starter cable, try to connect it to the bracket of the alternator and negative of the battery.

If this solves the issue, check all the ground connections.

Thats a great thought , will check that tomorrow. 

Cheers:)

We often refer to those cables as 'startkabels' in Dutch, but I meant 'Car Battery Jumper Cables' indeed. This way you can add another ground if done properly.

If it was a short-circuit, you'll be protected by a fuse.

If this doesn't help, try to make a video of your instrument cluster when it happens and upload it here.

• Like 2

I'd have said there's not an awful lot of scope having looked at a wiring diagram. Feed goes through the ignition switch, to F13 in the fuse box, then on to the reversing light switch. It just goes to the rear lamps and earths after that. The car must know though. As the rear wiper activates if you plonk it into reverse.

Pull fuse 13, see if it stops?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palatinux said:

If it was a short-circuit, you'll be protected by a fuse.

The cable from battery positive to starter motor is the only cable in the car that doesn't have any fuse. 

But you were not suggesting that the OP did anything with that, so no problem. 

So a development. Car now runs fine for some unknown reason. The only thing it won't do is start when it's in reverse. It will start in neutral or any other gear fine ( also doesn't cut now when engaging reverse). Very strange but I can live with it :)

23 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

@Johnnynapalm Did you change anything that might have stopped it from cutting out when engaging reverse?

Not that I can think would make such a difference. I did spray contact cleaner on all the wiring under the bonnet. I suppose that may have changed something?. Other than that nothing else. The car still won't start when it's in reverse (literally all power is cut when it's in reverse and nothing happens when the ignition is switched on ) 

If the the car is parked in 1st gear, start the engine, put it in reverse while the clutch in pressed. Does it still run?

Or does it cut off (a few secondes) after you very gently lift your foot of the clutch pedal?

Is your instrument cluster still working if it cuts out and the time on it still set after?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2023 at 03:08, Palatinux said:

If the the car is parked in 1st gear, start the engine, put it in reverse while the clutch in pressed. Does it still run?

Or does it cut off (a few secondes) after you very gently lift your foot of the clutch pedal?

Is your instrument cluster still working if it cuts out and the time on it still set after?

If its put into reverse when the engine is running, it will cut out. 

Instrument cluster goes out when it cuts out and everything is reset

Update on this, Car started playing up again. will start fine. But no power steering and still cutting out when going into reverse. Also, it cuts out when i activate the screen washer.

I called an auto electricioan and he diagnosed a faulty live from the battery. Will see if that sorts ot.

On 10/01/2024 at 13:20, Johnnynapalm said:

Update on this, Car started playing up again. will start fine. But no power steering and still cutting out when going into reverse. Also, it cuts out when i activate the screen washer.

I called an auto electricioan and he diagnosed a faulty live from the battery. Will see if that sorts ot.

Replacing the battery cable didn't cure the problem. I'm at a loss. Anybody have any other thoughts before I get another electrician out ? 

Cheers 

John 

Does your car have a rear window wiper?
I know that certain cars (not sure about this make/model) activate the rear wiper when going into reverse.
A simple test would be to pull out the fuses for all wipers and screenwashers.

I might also be possible that the ECU is short-circuited on one of the few unprotected lines/connections. But that is still guesswork with limited information.
Can you make a video when from the instrument cluster when this happens and upload it to https://www.file.io/  ?

6 hours ago, Palatinux said:

Does your car have a rear window wiper?
I know that certain cars (not sure about this make/model) activate the rear wiper when going into reverse.
A simple test would be to pull out the fuses for all wipers and screenwashers.

I might also be possible that the ECU is short-circuited on one of the few unprotected lines/connections. But that is still guesswork with limited information.
Can you make a video when from the instrument cluster when this happens and upload it to https://www.file.io/  ?

I don't have a rear wiper anymore. I removed it about 4 years ago.  I've just been out in the car tonight and it's been totally fine. Although earlier today it played up (started fine as it always does ) but the power steering wasn't working and cuts out when engaging reverse.  Seems to play up when the car has warmed up somewhat, after I've done a few stops in-between places. I think that's what I'm noticing anyway. Thanks for the reply. I'll attempt to upload a video tomorrow

Cheers 

John 

23 hours ago, Johnnynapalm said:

Although earlier today it played up (started fine as it always does ) but the power steering wasn't working and cuts out when engaging reverse.

This sounds like a bad earth. I frequently had problems with the earth connecting between the battery and the inner wing on mine, and it'd send the car into a mad frenzy. I ended up adding a second earth to a bolting point down beside the power steering pump reservoir cap.

• Like 1

I completely agree with your perspective, and I've shared similar thoughts. However, the 'jumper-cable' test I mentioned earlier seems to be a crucial aspect that we haven't explored yet. Neglecting this test is akin to searching for a needle in a haystack. It's essential that we address this aspect to ensure a comprehensive evaluation.

Until that moment arrives, regrettably, I won't be able to offer any further assistance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/02/2024 at 22:25, LesCM19 said:

Reading this, I'm curious as to how you manage to make the car go backwards at all.

I just make sure I don't park anywhere that I have to reverse. Although I have gotten around this now by pulling the reverse light fuse :)