Clutch Master Cylinder failures.

kewill23

My Kodiak ( 2020 4x4 manual 150 PS ) has just suffered a cylinder failure causing complete clutch loss.    

The hydraulic fluid loss was total and now that it is with the main dealer.

Upon dismantling the gear box its clear that the cylinder has failed and also contaminated the clutch plate which fortunately are covered by the extended warranty.

What isn't apparently covered is the Flywheel and securing bolts holding it that have come loose and need replacement and as the car has only done 34K. I'd ask those that may know if this is out of the ordinary and is it a defect that should be warranty covered.

Any thoughts or advice please.

Edited by kewill23

• kewill23 changed the title to Clutch Master Cylinder failures.

Hi, I don't know about this fault or Skoda's in particular but I'm a retired mechanic so maybe can help a little, so to cover what you've said I think the g/box would have been removed not dismantled, then the cylinder would be the slave not the master, it's the flywheel and loose bolts that seem unusual, the bolts don't just come loose and if they were and the flywheel is damaged I would suspect that could be a reason for the slave cylinder to fail/break. I would ask for more clarity on the loose bolts and expect it to be a warranty fault claim.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,The car is diesel.

The fly wheel is reported as having found to have raised surfaces / hotspots whilst the securing bolts were not as tight as they should be.

The dealer has stated that the flywheel issue is not a warranty matter which surprises me.

The master cylinder is warranted and clutch plate was contaminated so covered too. - just can't get OEM parts due to a nationwide shortage and being on back order.

will challenge again about the fly wheel as thats certainly not an expected failure under normal motoring conditions and use.

• Like 1

Play devils advocate and tell them to put the bolts back in at the same torque levels that they were removed.

Bolts don’t come loose unless they were installed incorrectly, are defective or of a poor design, all of which are arguably genuine warranty claims.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

tell them to put the bolts back in at the same torque levels that they were removed

Surely you dont mean to put the bolts back in loosely?

If the securing bolts referred to are those holding the clutch cover on then its no big deal, if they are the flywheel to crankshaft bolts then its a very big deal and would cause significant damage in a very short time indeed and sound like all the main bearings had run, frankly I find it hard to believe, you would likely need a new crankshaft and flywheel were it the case.

• Like 1