Space saver

BTandSid

Having recently spent nearly three hours waiting for Skoda Roadside aka AA to get out to deal with a flat n/s I’ve given thought to getting a space saver. Does the appropriate sized wheel simply drop straight into the well under the boot space? Am assuming that fitting a full-sized spares not an option

Can be done but you'd have to raise the load floor as the well is designed for a space saver.

Our Karoq, ordered from stock, didn't have a spare so bought one from Gumtree ( unused ) £60 - job done. Replaced the Karoq with a Toyota who wanted over £400 for a space saver! Bugger that. Ebay this time - new wheel for £100.

If there's space for it then personally I wouldn't want to be without a spare but can no longer see an argument for carrying a full sized wheel. 40 years of driving and never once required a full size spare, even tho cars used to have them as std.

Looking at some previous threads on the topic of spare wheels for the Karoq...

With the Karoq 4x4 you might only be able to fit a narrow space saver, such as 125/70R18, 135/80R18, etc.

Whether you have fixed rear seats or varioflex rear seats might make a difference. If it does, then fixed rear seats might allow for a wider spare tyre such as a 215/60R16 fitted to the standard 6Jx16 ET43 rim.

One Karoq owner (Omri) on this thread said that his Karoq came with a 215/60R16 spare tyre so it does appear possible that some Karoq models can at least fit a 215/60R16 in the spare wheel well.

The actual width of a tyre always depends on the rim width to which it is fitted. The "215" that you see on the sidewall is just the "nominal" width.

As you can see in the chart below, a 215/55R17 fitted to a 7J rim is 11mm wider than a 215/60R16 fitted to a 6J rim. For this reason, a 215/60R16 fitted to a 6J rim might fit in the spare wheel well with the carpet flush, whereas a 215/55R17 fitted to a 7J rim might not fit in the spare wheel well with the carpet flush.

Actual inflated width of tyre (measured sidewall to sidewall)

215/60R16 fitted to 6J rim 215mm

215/55R17 fitted to 7J rim 226mm

Edited by Carlston

18 hours ago, BTandSid said:

Having recently spent nearly three hours waiting for Skoda Roadside aka AA to get out to deal with a flat n/s I’ve given thought to getting a space saver. Does the appropriate sized wheel simply drop straight into the well under the boot space? Am assuming that fitting a full-sized spares not an option

In have recently bought a genuine Skoda spare wheel kit form Caffyns Tunbridge Wells. I can confirm that the kit comes with the polystyrene filler to keep the tools in which are also supplied - Jack, Wheel Brace etc. and instructions on how to fit it in the car. The spare wheel central anchor bolt and spacer to support the boot floor is also supplied. All of the tools that are supplied with the car will fit into the new styrene filler except the electric pump which I have put into the nearside pocket in the boot.

There are different kits depending on the Karoq model, but Caffyns will confirm the kit required for your model if you email them with the reg number. The kit is not as cheap as eBay kits but does come complete with all the fittings and a genuine Jack etc.

We tow a caravan and I don't like the idea of using a tyre repaired with foam, plus of course the foam ruins the tyre so an (expensive) replacement is required.

We have a 2L 150TDi Sportline MY22 which comes with the foam kit held in a polystyrene tray fitted into the space saver wheel well. I got a wheel (5x112) with a new Continental tyre on it for about £60 on eBay. I pumped it up to 60psi (recommended) and it fitted into the well no problem. I had to get a screw holder and fitment to hold it down (also from eBay) but it was too long and lifted the floor board. I happened to be in a Skoda dealer a few days later so I asked Parts about the clamp and not only did they have the correct unit in stock but it was cheaper than anything similar on the web. I had a suitable scissor jack and opened up slightly this sits nicely inside the wheel.

I know that it is limited to 50mph (I think 35mph if towing but it must be on the rear) but I would rather have it than a problem!

The Foam does not ruin a tyre.  Tyre fitters might not want the bother of cleaning up.

You can take the tyre away and clean it up and if repairable have it repaired later.   Just saying.  No use at the time, but do not scrap a tyre just because foam was used as a temp repair.

• Like 1