iV Charging

AndyRat

The wife finally got her iV a couple of weeks ago, two years wait since ordering it.  Really pleased with it so far, just a couple of questions so far

• Is there anywhere that indicates how many Kwh have been "topped up" during a charging session?  When I use the charger at work, the charger and the app give that figure when you stop charging, but I can't find anywhere in the car or the Skoda app when charging at home using the granny charger.
  • When the battery has discharged, it's showing a permanent red light at the bottom of the charge indicator, bottom left of display, is there any way to turn this off?  It's not always convenient to charge (especially at the prices at some of the public chargers) so the red light is pretty obtrusive.

Thanks in anticipation

6 minutes ago, AndyRat said:

When the battery has discharged, it's showing a permanent red light at the bottom of the charge indicator, bottom left of display, is there any way to turn this off?

There's this stuff called "insulating tape"... ;) We used to regularly use it to partially blank main beam lights, particularly on Fords.

I don't think you can turn the red line off. You get used to it I find it best to use sport mode when you can't charge the battery as it seems to like to store up about 3 miles of electric in that mode whereas in D it likes to run it down to zero.

13 hours ago, mccririck said:

I find it best to use sport mode when you can't charge the battery as it seems to like to store up about 3 miles of electric in that mode

I agree. In fact the best I have had in S-mode is a re-charge to 8 miles of electric, but usually it is 5-6 miles. You need a long-ish trip and a light touch on the accelerator to achieve this.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2023 at 21:11, AndyRat said:

Is there anywhere that indicates how many Kwh have been "topped up" during a charging session?  When I use the charger at work, the charger and the app give that figure when you stop charging, but I can't find anywhere in the car or the Skoda app when charging at home using the granny charger.

Nothing in the car or Skoda app. But Octopus tell you through their excellent app. Go or Agile tariffs allow you to add car as a device, charge it automatically on cheapest rates overnight (Agile) or for 7.5p/kWh overnight (Go). Forecast very cheap tonight

IMG_0237.thumb.png.07620b96c5396ed23ffb0f2bff782632.pngIMG_0238.thumb.png.b0c7375742cad984a336a9dc4ca80d31.png

1 hour ago, Markeknows said:

Nothing in the car or Skoda app. But Octopus tell you through their excellent app. Go or Agile tariffs allow you to add car as a device, charge it automatically on cheapest rates overnight (Agile) or for 7.5p/kWh overnight (Go). Forecast very cheap tonight

IMG_0237.thumb.png.07620b96c5396ed23ffb0f2bff782632.pngIMG_0238.thumb.png.b0c7375742cad984a336a9dc4ca80d31.png

Hpw does Agile work out during the day for other usage?

Don’t put on electric demanding devices between 4 and 7, washing machine, dishwasher etc and reap the benefits. But a lot of peeps have to service the family in that time and won’t benefit. But empty nesters and the youthful can. 
IMG_0239.thumb.png.ab8ff643d6cc80d448314998bd8e2499.png

£50 quid for you and me for joining up with a referral code from me lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Markeknows said:

Don’t put on electric demanding devices between 4 and 7, washing machine, dishwasher etc and reap the benefits. But a lot of peeps have to service the family in that time and won’t benefit. But empty nesters and the youthful can. 
IMG_0239.thumb.png.ab8ff643d6cc80d448314998bd8e2499.png

£50 quid for you and me for joining up with a referral code from me lol

I'm supposed to be getting transferred there from shell energy

3 minutes ago, mccririck said:

I'm supposed to be getting transferred there from shell energy

out in a referral code now and you will still get transferred but they will give you £50 credit on yiur bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi.   Looking at a used Octavia IV plug in hybrid. (cant afford a new one)     Am wondering whether it is worth the extra few thousand to upgrade from a petrol to a plug in hybrid.    Does anyone who has one that has done 20k - 30k miles have a rough number for how far the car will actually go on Electric only?    I realise the advertised number is 41 miles but wondering what real life is.

All other comments welcome.

Thanks  

6 hours ago, JDunn said:

Hi.   Looking at a used Octavia IV plug in hybrid. (cant afford a new one)     Am wondering whether it is worth the extra few thousand to upgrade from a petrol to a plug in hybrid.    Does anyone who has one that has done 20k - 30k miles have a rough number for how far the car will actually go on Electric only?    I realise the advertised number is 41 miles but wondering what real life is.

All other comments welcome.

Thanks  

As usual, it depends where you intend to drive it, but I get about 30 miles in the summer, and 22 ish in the winter. 

i live i a fairly hilly area, and include some motor way use in that, which is not the best place to use up the battery really. 

for me, if I’m working from home, and just using it locally for days at end, then you can get away with not starting the engine ever. I got close to 1000 miles out of a recent tank of 35litre petrol fuel up. During that time, it was probably costing me about 12p a mile, which is cheaper than using petrol at about 14p, but not loads cheaper. 

If the weather is warm, you’ve got a tail wind, you turn the interior heating off, and start out with a warm battery whilst driving on a flat 40mph limit road, then yeah, I reckon you could muster 40 miles of range out of it. Maybe. 

I’m happy with it, but it’s a company car, so makes sense to me, not sure the extra cost would pay itself back if it were a private choice, as the savings aren’t huge unless you’ve got mega cheap electric. 

• Like 2

I've been using mine as a hybrid rather than a plugin hybrid the last couple of months and I notice quite a variation in mpg. One day I got 57mpg going from my house near Edinburgh to Perth, then got about 51mpg on the way home.

It's been rare that I've had days over 50mpg though. I think the long term average has been around 47mpg, which I suppose is quite good for this size of car compared to a purely petrol car.

I'm expecting mpg to improve in the warmer months though - should be interesting to see how much.