Fancy air filters

A question to those in the know:

I can well see the advantage of a bigger air intake from the PD160 but am at a loss as to the advantage of expensive air filters. As stadard ones I presume are very cheap in comparison would it not be better just to replace it regularly rather than buy one that will need to be cleaned and based on what others say let more crap into the engine?

Is the difference they make really that noticable to performance?

Well i've come to the conclusion "performace" filters for a diesel engine is pointless. Much better sticking with the standard filter and just have it replaced at a 10K or 20K service instead of the 40K service. Cant say I've noticed any difference in performance between the two. plus can't be bothered cleaning the filter all the time. Also cheaper on the insurance as they class it as a performance uprade.

I'd agree with John, wrt the performance. However, I mainly chose to get an aftermarket filter as I'm doing high mileage and cleaning the filter is cheaper in the long term. No insurance increase for me :D

Chris

I was going to get the PD160 intake and Green filter, but a std filter from my local Car shop is £8 and upon thinking about it, unless I remap the car I can't see how the PD160 intake will make a jot of difference to a std car, so I've just kept it standard for now.

:)

I've run a anumber of different combinations

Std filter with PD160 intake

Std filter with PD160 intake, Oneclick

Green Filter with PD160 intake & Oneclick

The most noticeable changes with the Green Filter are is that the throttle felt more responsive, engine sounded more "growly" and imprved MPG a little.

As with everything else though "You Decide" :D

Mines a standard petrol engine with a K&N air filter.

I was sceptical about what difference it would make at first.

However once it was fit to the car for the first time I could feel the car kind of cough like it was clearing its throat to let more air in. After that the gears seemed to have more play in them and the engine seemed to have a lower more growly note it. The car as a whole seems to have more punch to it. Maybe its cause mines a petrol.

I fitted the K&N filter with the std air intake. The enigine just felt that bit more smoother. I then fitted the Pd 160 air intake and the engine felt different again. It seemed to pull alot smoother and for that bit longer, plus alot less soot out the exhaust. I see a few extra miles to the gallon as well. I do high mileage so every bit helps!!

On an even better note, the engine seems to have a nice low down growl. :D

Thanks for all your thoughts peeps. I think you have convinced me to give one a go life's to short not to have a play and stick new bits on ur motor:)

On a slightly different note my vrs has just passed 5000miles and economy has improved suddenly and it just feels like she has opened up a bit definately quicker than when she was new. Also I filled her up with Morrisons fuel thought it would be not as good as shell which I usually use but better economy and runs better on the morrisons. I heard a rumour that morrisons fuel is Bp no idea though if that is the case. I recommed a fill up there though give it a try - I was impressed!

On a slightly different note my vrs has just passed 5000miles and economy has improved suddenly and it just feels like she has opened up a bit definately quicker than when she was new.

I'm now on 4,500 miles after about 6 weeks (120 mile round trip a day), and yes, totally agree - the torque band is expanding and the MPG is now returning 50 MPG (calculated manually - not using the trip computer).

How many miles before it's well & truely bedded in?

As an asside, I'd get the PD160 intake and green/K&N filter if it was kosher and didn't mess with insurance/warranty. Maybe after 60k I'll do it.

D

How many miles before it's well & truely bedded in?

As an asside' date=' I'd get the PD160 intake and green/K&N filter if it was kosher and didn't mess with insurance/warranty. Maybe after 60k I'll do it. [/quote']

Mine had 17k on the clock (some of which I'm sure were fairly harsh!!!:D ) when I bought and it seemed to loosen noticeablty when it reached 30k or so. I'm sure each one is different though.