VCDS LED error clearing on Skoda Yeti 2014 1.8 TSI

dankfir

Hello everyone.

I have a 2014 Skoda Yeti, 1.8 4×4.

the model pre the facelift.

I changed all the halogen bulbs in the car to LED bulbs.

And even though they have CANBUS, I still have warning notes on the dash screen.

I have the VCDS module, and I would like to use it to erase the error codes.

I understood that it can be done through byte 18 as shown in the picture.

I don't know how to erase the existing code and reset the warning lights.

I thought of clicking on the Lightning reset option.

Does anyone here know if this will actually solve my problem, and is it safe?

Thanks in advance.

20231123_120644.jpg

20231123_120638.jpg

They do not have Canbus, that is just marketing speak, Canbus goes nowhere near the bulbs, they may claim to have a shunt resistor to emulate the resistance of an incandescent bulb but as you have found talk is cheap.

If you are going to chance your arm changing a byte to "reset" without knowing what that does (it certainly is not for a change to LED bulbs) then please store or make a note of the existing coding although it seems you have a photograph of it.

I think you need to be looking for another byte for bulb monitoring system, perhaps even in a different controller.

Your VCDS is out of date and needs updating.

There used to be a massive warning regarding byte 18 so I wouldn't suggest messing about with it.

byte18.png

To fix the bulb out warnings properly, you'll need something like VCP or ODIS which can directly edit the lighting EEPROM. VCDS cannot do this :)

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

That depends what your original byte 18 value is.

If it's 00, it means none of the 'defaults' are completely correct for your car and you should not change it.

If it's some other value, then you can probably restore the config by changing it back to the default. Still - some people have had issues even after restoring the original value which is why it has such a large warning now :)

• Like 2

Easiest thing would be to put the incandescent bulbs back and make sure everything is OK, then compare to the the resistance of these shonky LEDS, calculate a suitable shunt resistor using the parallel resistor equation and source some making sure they have enough current carrying capacity, then you will have the white light that you seem to desire and twice as many potential future electrical faults.

Pretty soon people will be hankering after yellow lights and I will be cool again 😄

• Like 2

The dropdown menu of the byte 18 contains many car models, besides the default that already set to 00000000

I guess this list was created specifically to be a backup in case of failure.

I was thinking at the moment to choose from the list the "Lightning reset" option.

hoping that it would reset all the fault codes, anif it will not  it didnt work properly,  I can always go back and select the Skoda Yeti 5L line that appears on the list.

am I wrong?

20231123_202612.jpg

All I can do is repeat myself. If your stock byte 18 is 00 (00000000) don't mess with it!

The lighting configuration on this age of car is mostly contained within some 40-50 bytes in the BCM EEPROM. If you set byte 18 to a non zero value, it will overwrite this section of EEPROM with a new configuration. If your stock byte 18 is 00, this typically means that none of the byte 18 values contain the correct lighting configuration for your car and instead, the factory tool had to set the lighting configuration directly in the EEPROM. If you change it, you CANNOT get the original configuration back using VCDS as it's unable to directly access the EEPROM.

Just as an example, the Yeti came with multiple lighting options which would require different configurations and yet there is only single byte 18 option for a Yeti. I would expect 1D is close to your original config but given your byte 18 is 00, it will not match it identically.

As for 1C, I expect that just zero's the entire lighting config. It will not clear lighting fault codes...

If you really want to mess with the lighting config, you need VCP or ODIS as they can backup the original config and allow targeted changes to each lighting channel.

I have nothing more to add. You've been warned so good luck 👍

• Like 4

First of all, thank you very much for the help and explanations.

I certainly understand the risk and accept the warning.

but there is something important I  forgot to mention.

Yesterday morning I already made a change in the settings.

The original value that arrived from the manufacturer, indeed was EEPROM 00000000.

but I changed it to the D1 Skoda Yeti 5L that appeared in the list.

After I made sure that is fit the configuration of my vehicle, pre facelift of 2014.

And after I made the change and save and set the car on that parameter, I must say that I checked thoroughly and all the lights are on as usual in an optimal way.

all work well and as usual.

Of course, the fault codes of the LED lights that were before the change remained as they were.

The question is, whether this means that I have indeed found a reliable backup for my lighting code, Can I rely on it for any change any wrong case?

Assuming yes, how do you think I should make the change in byte , in order to try to cancel the error on dashboard screen,  should I simply insert a randomly binary code, to save the existing LED lighting condition ?

Or  maybe I just have to select the:  "C0 lighting reset" option and then click Do it.

Or maybe there is another way via VCDS?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20231124_125417_Gallery.jpg

I believe that you should either refit the original bulbs and then delete the fault codes or fit appropriate shunt resistors and delete the codes, have you even measured the resistance of your (not) Canbus LED bulbs?

Your desire to have a different wavelength light means you are not only willing to possibly suffer a reduction in vision, dazzling other motorists but that you are happy to disable a valuable safety system and rather than concentrating on the actual problem, the resistance of these (not) Canbus bulbs you want to make hit or miss coding changes which are very likely to disable most of the Central Electric functions.

Is the potential price paid really worth it for your lights to be a different colour which you cannot see from behind the wheel?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't say my car is defective.

the opposite.

I know the manufacturer chose to use old halogen bulbs and not LEDs,

I wanted to update the bulbs to LEDs, and I'm not the first to do this and I won't be the last.

Because  halgogan bulbs consume more electricity, so when I replace them with LEDs with a lower power consumption, then the LED's computer detects a decrease in output and interprets it as a malfunction.

all I wanted to do was  to teach the computer and reset the specific lighting settings.

that's All.

If there is someone here who knows how to explain and help please.

If not, everything is fine.

1 hour ago, dankfir said:

If not, everything is fine.

I'm pleased to hear that.

• Love it! 1