Oil filter change on 2.0 tdi Yeti.

red2

Hi. I am about to do my first ever oil and oil filter change on a 2012 Yeti, 2.0 tdi, 126 000 km. 

This engine has the oil filter with the big hex nut accessible from above. 

I have watched a few Youtube videos and they just replaced the oil filter from above, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that some people also do something from below the car - maybe drain the oil cooler ???

I work on a driveway so accessing things from below is a pain ( but I will if I have to - I can jack the car ).

Two questions :

1) Can I just change the oil filter from above and consider the job complete ?

2) Is there anything at all that is done from below, that relates to an oil filter change ( perhaps something optional ) ?

Thanks for the help. ( I am new to Yeti servicing ).

Richard 

Hi Richard, the only thing I can think of is that you will need to get under the car to drain the oil by undoing the sump plug. Not sure if your car has one but there will probably be a hard plastic sump guard to remove before you can get to the sump plug. So you will need to Jack the car up a bit so you can get under there comfortably. Also make sure you change the o-rings when you change the filter. They should come with the new filter. 
cheers

ian 

Thanks Ian. I'll give it a go today. Suspect the sump plug is very tight as I briefly tried it before so will probably have to jack it for that. 

And thanks for that too idleness. I've googled that oil extractor and will definitely consider it for the future, as getting under the car is getting harder...

I don't like the idea of taking the car to the garage for an oil change and not having a clue what actual oil they are putting in, when they use vague descriptions like "5W30 full synthetic", with no way of checking whether they are using the correct VW spec. oil.  

On 02/12/2023 at 02:55, red2 said:

seem to recall reading somewhere that some people also do something from below the car

Draining the oil.

I am a convert to suction pumps and will never go back, you can also suck out a considerable quantity from the oil pump housing.

13 hours ago, red2 said:

don't like the idea of taking the car to the garage for an oil change and not having a clue what actual oil they are putting in, when they use vague descriptions like "5W30 full synthetic", with no way of checking whether they are using the correct VW spec. oil.  

When I bought this yeti it had just been serviced I asked which oil and the garage told me it was Millars C2. I drove straight home and got the Pela out and swapped the oil for VW507.

Took a couple of minutes job sorted.