Move Steering Wheel

Hi all,

wonder if your knowledgable folk can help! Went to start car this morning at the screen flashed up with “ Move Steering Wheel” and wouldn’t start. 

Tried turning the steering wheel in both directions, tried adjusting the rake of the steering, locking unlocking etc but nothing. 

Rang the nearest skoda dealer to be told to ring AA/RAC. Not currently got at home cover so looking to this, but any ideas where to start or if anyone has come across this before?

The car drove absolutely fine yesterday. 

It’s a 2016 2.0 TDI superb.

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_9218.thumb.jpeg.7cd3c95e64522ec02230d9c409218744.jpeg

It sounds like a problem I had many years ago with a Citroen CX. The pin that locked the steering jammed in place and wouldn't spring out of engagement when I tried to start the car.

I cleared it then by turning the steering wheel first to the left and then to the right, putting the steering under load in each direction. You have to try both directions as it is not obvious which direction will relieve the pressure. Try to start the car in each position to test if the pin has been freed. It worked for me at the time after a cou[le of goes. Failing that you will have to take the load off the front of the car to allow free movement of the steering wheel. Best pf luck.

• Like 2

This warning comes up when the steering lock pin is slightly jammed normally by the steering column being pushed up against the pin tight.

a small wobble of the wheel is enough to clear it.

if it doesn’t clean or unlock the column then the car will need further diagnosis by removing the column lock pin and motor and seeing what is binding it up causing high resistance on the pin.

as a safety feature the car won’t start unless the column is 100% unlocked.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrSissons said:

Thanks Aperture, for what it’s worth the wheel turns completely, how would I go about checking or removing the steering lock pin?

You have to remove the steering column completely from the vehicle.

unbolt the part and press a small pin out to remove the motor and pin setup.

the part needs coding with Odis as its security related.

3Q0905861 Before Jan 2018

3Q0905861B After Jan 2018

New the part is roughly £150 and I’m not sure if it’s a reprogrammable part or a one time program to the immobiliser system  

2 hours ago, MrSissons said:

Thanks Aperture!

Sounds like a trip to the local dealers then, any idea what damage I’m looking at?

Wouldn’t know sorry and wouldn’t be 100% it’s that without a full diagnosis.

But if it was something like that I’d personally be charging just under £400 for all parts including stretch bolts, immobiliser reprogramming and replacement of the unit.

But my prices will differ to a dealer or whoever else - I’m in north London which isn’t much help to you with a car that won’t move!

Also remember that when the immobiliser is reprogrammed all vehicle keys need to be present or the ones that aren’t present will stop working.

• 2 weeks later...

To update you all and for others in future. 

After a painful recovery and ten days later the car is finally fixed and back with me. The issue was the steering control module, part number S3Q0905861B

£500 for the total bill including parts and 2.5 hours labour. 

Only downside is I now have a nasty scratch on the airbag from either Skoda or Recovery truck…

Thanks for all the help! 

IMG_8106.jpeg

• Sad 1