Please help, is my car safe to drive?

Was happily doing 50 in roadworks on motorway, they ended, accelerated to 70, 30 seconds later I had the engine temp overheating stop car. Coolant temp was in red and rising. Not knowing what to do I slowed down moving to the slow lane ready to pull onto hard shoulder, and it rapidly dropped to 90 before I could stop. 

Yes it's a 2l tdi so assuming coolant / pump issue but it had it replaced in 2017? That's not the main issue I'll book it in garage Monday 

I've got 2 hrs on motorway to get home... Am I safe to drive if it does it again or do I need to stop? Is it actually overheating and will it go bang? Lol

Would I be safer going back / smaller roads if I need to pull over thinking about it? 

Thanks! 

Edited by SkodaNewb

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Good odds that it is a seized shroud on the water pump!

But will need to go to a garage for further diagnosis in person.

When was the timing belt last done and what’s the current mileage?

Is that the "common problem" I'm reading about?! 

Thanks for the reply. I'll get into the garage Monday and get a price from my independent and Skoda too. 

Belt and waterpump done in 2017 30k ish, nothing since 😔. So it's overdue the belt. 80 k currently 

No way is it overdue a belt according to VAG's current guidance, I doubt that it was even due the last one under the old regime.

That said if the waterpump is to be changed then the cambelt might as well be changed yet again.

• Like 2

Just to update... 

Made another 2 hour trip! Not sure that's wise but did it fine, I read about "controlling" the coolant temp but raising the heating in the car! I noticed as I went over 50 the temp increased slowly, so with some very cautious driving and a very very very hot cabin it only got near the red once at that point oil temp was also 115!! The last hour it didn't even move from 90 again, oil around 98 - 105 which is normal, so whatevers happening isn't all the time!