Not That Easy To Change Headlamp Bulbs !

Krissykat

Everyone reports it is easy to change headlamp bulbs on a projector fitted Fabia. Well on mine it is not, only managed the nearside after a great struggle; the retaining lug had been bent. The offside with the fuel filter behind it will not budge, and the main beam bulbs look like their retaining bracket is held in by star screws, not a twist and remove one ! So maybe Haynes are right; it is into a garage to have the bumper removed at a cost of several hundred pounds, just to change the bulbs. Aargh !

I've not done a MK2 fabia, but the 6L Ibiza was pretty bad for all the same reasons. I ended up using a long pair of bent-tip pliers and doing the whole job with them. It was like something off the crystal maze, but it was possible. 

• Like 1

Done it many times the esyst way unlike some say is to remove the battery on the nearside get a decent pair or the coated workgloves and you will find it a lot better, on the drivers side get a torx bit and remove the whole filter frame from the wing I mean und the bolts and remove them and push the frame to the side use a bit of string or zip tie and hold it out of the way untill you change the bulb ,a lot will say you don't need to do this but it is a lot easier 

• Thanks 1

Well after a lot of placid effort, okay much cursing and box kicking, eventually got three bulbs fitted - two main and one dip. They were very tight to twist out and even more of a trial to get back in, such a shame Skoda could not make them as easy to change as the rear lamp bulbs. The off-side one defeated me, with the fuel filter in the way just could not get an adequate grip on this also tightly secured bulb. At least I can now see the kerb or verge, what might be in the middle of the road not such an issue. Thanks to all for helpful suggestions, pliers did help to get them out. Oh for future reference get an illuminated inspection mirror on a telescopic rod ( think old style radio aerial ) - it really helps !

I read this with trepidation but I was under the bonnet yesterday and it appears access to the rear of my light units is fairly open. There is not quite as much access to the LH unit due to the battery but even my big hands should get in. 1.4 16v petrol engine and projector headlights.

I have a 1.6 TDI.  After much hassle I took the Fuel Filter bracket aside and I was finally able to change the bulb.  As far as I can see its the only way to do it unless you are a small monkey!