Fuel Pump Issues

milkymarsh

Just wondering if people have had issues with their fuel pump on their Karoq. Mine is a 21 plate 2.0TDI (150) 2wd with just 28,000 miles on the clock.

The car has been in at the garage since 2nd Nov on a slow start issue & after the dealer has changed a couple of fuel sensors, battery, injector valve, they have now detected the issue of the high pressure fuel pump failing. It's so bad that they have discovered metal filings in the fuel pump itself. As such, it now means that the dealer needs to replace virtually the whole fuel system (injectors, low pressure pump, fuel pipes etc).
Are there any other things to look out for, as I'm really starting to lose confidence in the car with such a significant issue. Just glad it's under warranty

5 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:
2 hours ago, J.R. said:

My thoughts too.

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Hmm, I wonder if a previous owner did, and became aware of possible future problems. 🤔 

That’s what I’m thinking too. Prob won’t be keeping the car then much longer, especially if some metal filings may have made their way into the engine….

the dealer is swapping out the fuel system, but there is no guarantee that it hasn’t gone further.

Do you think that’s a potential cause?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

What potential cause are you asking about and a potential cause of what?

Wondering if anyone else has had this before and possibly what the cause could have been. Never had a car do this to me before, with such an impact.

as it stands I will have been without the car for 2 months now whilst they have been undertaking investigations (at my local main Skoda dealer)

On 20/12/2023 at 12:37, Rooted said:

@milkymarshHow many hours over that 2 months are on a time sheet for a Technician actually looking at your car to diagnose / investigate the fault?

Not sure, but I do know they have already swapped out two fuel sensors, the main car battery and also an injector valve so far. As well as that, they have had to use some of the testing kit from vw hq which takes a bit of time to get.

They have said that they have to follow the instructions by vw hq as to what to do from one stage to the next

On 21/12/2023 at 19:39, Rooted said:

They would have done better getting a Man / Woman with a van and all the gear and more than ideas in and sorted the vehicle if their Master Tech / tech or fitter are not up to the job. 

Apparently all the parts needed to replace the system arrive next week. Here’s to another 3wks before I get it back. Will ask for a breakdown of their time and expected warranty claim costs - will be interesting to see what it all comes to

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would update, as I finally got the car back on Friday. In summary, the whole fuel system has been replaced (high pressure fuel pump, lifter, fuel lines/filters, secondary pump, rail, injectors). All in the parts cost came to £7400, with circa 75hrs of master tech, but the garage reckons they will only be able to claim back 20hrs in warranty time.

So, all in it's just over a £10k warranty claim. (seems to be a bit of an issue with VW group cars, as the master tech was saying that the Audi garage over the road had 2 cars in with the same issues currently)

But annoyingly, the car is now smoking under the bonnet quite heavily, so it's gone back in for that (I was warned it may smell of diesel for a bit, but not warned that it would smoke like an old webasto heater), as well as the fact that they forgot to put a piece of carpet back from underneath the rear seats