Original speed and load ratings?

Phoenixboy

I've owned 70 plate Scala 1.0tsi (115), dsg for a week now, it has 205 55 16 91v tyres fitted x3, but one of them is a 94v load rated tyre, the other 3 are getting down a bit now. 

They're not the original set.

Were the origional factory sets 205 55 16 91H rated tyres?

I realise it's OK to fit higher speed or load rated tyres, preferably all the same. 

I'd be happy to fit H speed rated tyres if that was the case from factory. 

I've checked online and I think H rated tyres were fitted from factory, but thought I'd double check. 

My Scala has the same engine/transmission setup as yours, but 18" wheels. It still has the factiry fitted tyres and the load index and speed rating is 90 V.

I imagine the load index differs due to the different tyre profile, but the speed rating should be the same for both.

Skoda do claim a top speed of 125mph, for the Scala with the 1.0l Tsi with a DSG. This does fall within the H ratings speed bracket, so should be suitable and legal for the car.

They probably use the V rated tyres from factory due to buying in bulk and fitting the same to all variants of the Scala, regardless of engine size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

My Scala has the same engine/transmission setup as yours, but 18" wheels. It still has the factiry fitted tyres and the load index and speed rating is 90 V.

I imagine the load index differs due to the different tyre profile, but the speed rating should be the same for both.

Skoda do claim a top speed of 125mph, for the Scala with the 1.0l Tsi with a DSG. This does fall within the H ratings speed bracket, so should be suitable and legal for the car.

They probably use the V rated tyres from factory due to buying in bulk and fitting the same to all variants of the Scala, regardless of engine size.

Thanks for the info, yes I think they'll be 91v's or H's from factory. I think you'd be screaming that little engine to death at 125😂

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Our (1.2 HTP) Fabia had T-rated on from factory. 😁

The OP was right though, his were 91V.

Thanks for the info, I can confirm they were 91 v's from factory. So that'll be what I'm putting on next. 

It's also had a new set of vag, rear discs and pads, front pads replaced by the dealer at 36k. Saves me the job.

Edited by Phoenixboy

Some Fabia III's also come with 185 60 15 H.

In 205 55 16 size V is very common and normally cheaper the H so def go for V's.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

The sizes with the H Speed rating are about the size that the Skoda Spare wheels come with.

I should have said older cars, low powered and with narrow tyres commonly had the lower speed rating.

Speed ratings are not just chosen because of top speeds / max speeds but other stresses on them, tyre shreading 115 ps etc and cornering forces, 

• Like 1

"skoda eshop cz" are listing four 16" winter wheels for the Scala. All are 89H or 91H depending on size. 195/60R16 is 89H and 205/55R16 is 91H.

16" winter wheels listed on "skoda eshop cz" for the Scala

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/zimni-kompletni-kola/c/winterSetOfWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AScala%2B%282019%2B%29%3ArimDiameter%3A16%22&text=#

Considering the 115HP Scala has a top speed less than 130mph, there's no need to over-specify the speed rating of the tyres by choosing V speed rated tyres.

Over-specifying the speed and load rating of a tyre can increase its weight and stiffness. The benefit of having a lower powered car is that you can choose less compromised tyres, by choosing a lower speed rating.

Take a look at the car's CoC (Certificate of Conformity), as that document will list all the Skoda approved tyre sizes along with their speed rating and load index.

Continental AllSeasonContact 2 205/55R16 91H

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Continental/AllSeasonContact-2/205-55-R16-91H-EVc/D-127964

Vredestein Quatrac 6 205/55R16 91H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8003p202103/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_205_55_R16_91H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

wheel-size.com lists 195/60R16 89H and 205/55R16 91H for the Scala 1.0TSI 115HP

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/scala/2023/

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

When the UK insurers finally accepted that Winter tyres / wheels is a good thing and not to penalise the insured for fitting that was and is a good thing.    Winter tyres, and now many might have All Season / All weather.     The thing is that they do not define Winter as a season or the months.  There are those like me that kept the Winter / Snow tyres on all year.  So running in hot weather, summer or when ever, or maybe keeping on and going abroad.     Because of that to get use the sand Speed / load rated tyres as the OME summer / ECO bias tyres.     Winter tyres like puppies might not just bs for Christmas. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carlston said:

"skoda eshop cz" are listing four 16" winter wheels for the Scala. All are 89H or 91H depending on size. 195/60R16 is 89H and 205/55R16 is 91H.

16" winter wheels listed on "skoda eshop cz" for the Scala

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/zimni-kompletni-kola/c/winterSetOfWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AScala%2B%282019%2B%29%3ArimDiameter%3A16%22&text=#

Considering the 115HP Scala has a top speed less than 130mph, there's no need to over-specify the speed rating of the tyres by choosing V speed rated tyres.

Over-specifying the speed and load rating of a tyre can increase its weight and stiffness. The benefit of having a lower powered car is that you can choose less compromised tyres, by choosing a lower speed rating.

Take a look at the car's CoC (Certificate of Conformity), as that document will list all the Skoda approved tyre sizes along with their speed rating and load index.

Continental AllSeasonContact 2 205/55R16 91H

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Continental/AllSeasonContact-2/205-55-R16-91H-EVc/D-127964

Vredestein Quatrac 6 205/55R16 91H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8003p202103/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_205_55_R16_91H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

wheel-size.com lists 195/60R16 89H and 205/55R16 91H for the Scala 1.0TSI 115HP

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/scala/2023/

Thanks for the info, within the owners manual it did state that a lower speed rating could be used for witer tyres. Although as we know 'all season tyres', are now often used in which which most are 'v', rated and above within my size, yet they display the snowflake symbol, so they have winter tyre handling caracaristics. 

I was just wanting to know what was fitted from factory, 91v's were. I dare say probably due to what was available to the manufacturer at the time. 

I tend to stick with load ratings that we're fitted from factory, too. As there's no reason to fit an higher load rating, either. 

As one of my tyres has a higher load rating than the rest, another good reason to change it, yet it's not an mot failure, within the eyes of the law it's OK to swap load ratings accross an axle, but within my opinion not good practice. As XL tyres within my experience tend to have a slightly different handle characteristic especially on corners. 

Maybe we'll get someone come on a say H rated tyres were fitted from factory, as they certainly have a higher enough speed rating for this car. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

I was just wanting to know what was fitted from factory, 91v's were.

If you look at the new car configurator on the Skoda UK website, it shows that most of the 16" alloy rims on the Scala 95HP/110HP models come with 205/55R16 91H tyres.

Skoda UK website

https://www.skoda.co.uk/

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Carlston said:

If you look at the new car configurator on the Skoda UK website, it shows that most of the 16" alloy rims on the Scala 95HP/110HP models come with 205/55R16 91H tyres.

Skoda UK website

https://www.skoda.co.uk/

Thanks for the info. So either H or V from new then on the 16's. Which would make sense, probably what's available at the time. As with new tyres V seems to be a more common size. 

As I now know what my car left the factory with, I'll probably stick with V's, even W's, as long as all four match and they're all reasonably priced. 

Although my car had just flew through its first mot with 3, 91v rated tyres and a 94v rated tyre by the Skoda dealership to whom I bought it from, as far as they're concerned it's road legal, which it is. There's no way I could live with a tyre on that had a different load rating long term than the rest though, as the tyres are getting down, nows a good time to change all 4. 

Just had a thought the new Scalas are 110bhp, mine being 116, so the new ones must be an emmisions detuned version of my engine?

Edited by Phoenixboy