Inner Edge Tyre Wear

PhilJS

I have a dispute running with Skoda regarding the inner edge tyre wear on my 2023 Enyaq iv 80 Sportline Plus on all 4 tyres and I wondered whether anyone out there can help.

This problem was noted at 11,000 miles by chance because the car went in for an airbag fault. The rear tyres would have failed an MOT and the fronts were close. Apart from the inner edges there were 4 to 5mm across all treads. Because these tyres are big and low profile, you can't see the inner edge without crawling under the car. This car would not have been inspected under a normal inspection schedule for another 6 or even 12 months. By then the tyres could have failed. Skoda UK Customer Service have been hopeless. They say the tyres have worn to a level that would be expected at this mileage and the uneven wear is due to my ‘driving style’ that has knocked all 4 wheels out of alignment. By the way all 4 wheels were misaligned in Toe only. The out of area dealer where I bought the car won’t talk to me.

I have now had all 4 tyres replaced and the alignment corrected at a total cost of £1200. I am gathering information to make a claim for compensation and my early research shows that this problem is not uncommon on the Enyaq. I have seen a TPI issued by the Skoda showing an image of a tyre with bad inner edge wear exactly like mine and giving new dimensions for Toe and Camber adjustment.

I believe there are two possible scenarios:-

1.       The car left the factory with badly adjusted wheel alignment in the Toe dimension or,

2.       The car left the factory with the wheels aligned to the dimensions Skoda originally set but after the TPI was issued, the software in the wheel alignment machines was updated to the new dimensions. Hence all 4 of my wheels were measured to be out of tolerance.  

It is just inconceivable that all 4 wheels would have been knocked out of alignment in Toe adjustment only as a result of ‘driving style’.

Has anyone out there suffered the same problem? Has anyone managed to get any goodwill payments out of Skoda or one of their dealers?

• Sad 1

Welcome.

What are they saying.  'Never seen that before'

or "They all do that.''

Call them TOMMY,  Selectively Deaf, dumb or blind. 

Some of these threads in forums might assist you. Or just show the known issue. 

Screenshot 2024-01-04 07.58.44.png

Screenshot 2024-01-04 07.59.39.png

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg.59c8e70155a4cf78e8950a1f2f6ef6be.jpg.7a50c510f9f90b36a1df469c150b6384.jpg

Edited by Rooted

This exact problem has been noted in some VW ID3 and ID4 (same MEB platform) cars. A Google search for this in ID.4 cars might also help find supporting evidence. Unfortunately the issue is sometimes conflated with a problem with some OE Bridgestone tyres supplied on the cars from new that suffered uneven wear, but alignment is OK. The Bridgestone issue is addressed by tyre replacement under warranty.

If you have the TPI number for the new wheel alignment specs, please share.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem on my 2023 vRS and inner edge tyre wear was confirmed.by my Skoda dealer. I knew about this problem so I monitored the tyres from new and thus can show the issue develoing. Skoda UK have fobbed me off and say the dealer should work with me to solve the problem. The dealer flatly refuses to accept any responsibility so I am piggy in the middle. I will be rattling Skoda's cage again because this problem came from the factory!

This was an issue over 20 years ago with the Mk1 Fabia...   Excessive inner edge tyre wear, mostly on the fronts.  We had it on our Fabia but after a toe correction by a local tyre fitter at the first replacement of the tyres it was fine for another 100k miles. 

You'd have thought they would have learned... 

On 03/01/2024 at 17:09, PhilJS said:

It is just inconceivable that all 4 wheels would have been knocked out of alignment in Toe adjustment only as a result of ‘driving style’.

I have four cars and check the alignment twice a year on all of them.

Most of the time they need adjusting, even at 6 month old from new.

I see this every day at work.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 16/03/2024 at 09:06, PhilJS said:

Can’t recall whether I ever posted an update. In case not, after 4 months of emails and telephone calls, the dealer I bought the car from has paid me for what it cost to replace all 4 tyres and a wheel alignment - around £1100. The general manager at the dealer told me the cost was being shared with Skoda UK. I have to say that I am quite surprised and it was definitely more difficult for them that they had to give me cash rather than fit new tyres through their network. But I had to get them done as the rears were an MOT failure and after  4 more months they would have blown out. One thing that helped I think is that I posted on the FB group Skoda EV Lounge which is run by Skoda. On there you will see that a lot of Scandinavian customers have been compensated. The more customers who complain the more likely Skoda will correct the problem at source. If not the dealers need to check alignment as part of their PDI. Although the PDI that my dealer did was a joke. Good luck to all those with the problem. Not all Enyaqs have the problem. Nothing to do with Bridgestones btw. Message me if anyone wants my Skoda case number. 

A great outcome,  although disappointed to hear of the initially poor response from Skoda.