Timing Chain worry

There was a Skoda procedure of how to assess chain stretch that was used for warranty claims. It involved removing the hydraulic tensioner at the rear of the engine and measuring the position of the internal moveable chain guide. I recall the limit for earlier engines was 78mm and mine was at 74mm so no warranty repair was authorised, despite the "death rattle" on many mornings. It took them over 2 hours to do it, don't ask me why.

In hindsight it's a flawed way of measuring chain stretch. Theres absolutely no guarantee the chain can be held taut on the return side when measuring, in fact I can guarantee it wont be. So don't bother asking them to check your chain. Your ear is the better guide.

As I said earlier, the engine was revised in early 2012 with a number of design tweaks including a 12.5% increase in oil capacity. Our 2013 Fabia did 120,000 without chain issues, whereas the 2011 Octavia we had to change it every 50,000 miles or so.

If you want to know, why not just ask your dealer to quote you to fit a complete new chain kit? Dont forget to also include a new timing cover crankshaft seal, unless you like oil leaks. Both times I had it done, it was surprisingly cheaper than a cambelt change. Not sure why but there is some history that came into play. It costs nothing to ask for a quote.

Edited by xman

Hi xman

Thanks for the info.

Its a bit of a dilemma

I think i will forget the diagnosis and get a quote for the fitting of a new chain etc then make a decision from there.

Trying to get a balance between piece of mind and spending money i dont really need to.

👍

Cheers

7 hours ago, mrted83 said:

I think i will forget the diagnosis and get a quote for the fitting of a new chain etc then make a decision from there.

Where about in Scotland are you? I was recommended a good VAG independent on the southern edge of Edinburgh. I haven't used them but the member who recommended them has.

8 hours ago, mrted83 said:

Hi xman

Thanks for the info.

Its a bit of a dilemma

Trying to get a balance between piece of mind and spending money i dont really need to.

👍

Cheers

Since it's only on 83k, I'd leave it another year, timing chains don't age like belts do so it only really comes down to mileage and service history, if the oil's been changed on schedule up until now then there's no reason to think the chain will be excessively worn.

16 minutes ago, mrted83 said:

Thanks folks,much appreciated👍

I live in Tayside area.

In which case, can I recommend either Star Performance in Glenrothes who I've used for over 20 years or Fife AutoTech who are just a few doors along from them on Eastfield Industrial Estate.

I see there's also SVS in Dundee but I've not experience with them. 

Thanks folks,much appreciated.

I am due a Major Service so any Independents near to  Forfar,Perth or Dundee areas would be very helpful.👍

@mrted83  SVS Dundee that @Schtummentioned will be fine if Dundee suits, i can give you a number for Forfar mechanic if you want.

?

What are you considering as a Major Service, Oil & Filter, Pollen Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid change and anything needed?

Best you use someplace nearest and discuss what is needed by what has been done and not just go by the term 'Major'. 

Get to know them there and maybe take advice if they are someplace that can betrusted.