Sticking fuel flap lock - possible interim solution?

Hello Folks,

I know the fuel cap lock sticking is a fairly common problem and that the locking solution is hideously over engineered. Mine started playing up last year -  fortunately a bit of pressure on the flap and some cycling of the lock/unlock button got me out of trouble on a few occasions at the pump.  I had intended to replace the solenoid but forgot once the warmer months came around.  Now its cold again its started playing up again last night and i had a bit of a battle with it.

As a short term measure so i dont get stuck unable to open it and out of fuel over the next few days, I was considering either pulling the electrical connector to the solenoid (once its an unlocked state of course), however this looks like it might require the arch liner or boot trim removing, which is a bit of a faff. Alternatively, given the way the mechanism works, i wondered if anyone had simply snipped off the two plastic lugs/wings from the plastic pinion/shaft, as it looks like these form the locking element by rotating through 90 degrees into the plastic 'latch' molded inside of the flap door. Just wondered if anyone had any experience and whether the "pop out" function for then opening the flap will still work okay?

I know i'll lose the locking functionality, but lets be right, non-return valves in the filler necks not withstanding, anyone determined to get fuel out of the car isn't going to be put off by a little flimsy plastic lock and causing a bit of damage to open the flap.

Cheers

Its recommended that you lubricate the locking mechanism (as you do with the door hinges too) - to make sure that it doesn't fail.

Yeah I've tried that with silicone grease previously but its didn't really seem to fix the issue, just make it occur a bit less frequently.

Cutting the wings or lugs off the pinion/shaft has done the trick as a temporary fix - the flap can be opened whether the car is locked or unlocked and whether the solenoid has actuated or not, so at least I shouldn't end up in a position where im out of fuel and unable to get access to the filler, until I get around to replacing it with a new one.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigJakk said:

Yeah I've tried that with silicone grease previously but its didn't really seem to fix the issue, just make it occur a bit less frequently.

Grease will hold road and other debris, silicone is considered by some as not good on paint.

Lubricate hinges and lots of other stuff with GT85 it has PTFE instead of grease (forget WD-40 Multi-Use use GT85 instead.

GT85 was formerly a British company now owned by an American company called WD-40 Company.

GT85s.jpg.b8bc7d0f3b6d66b990a0e4f3eaaf74ab.jpg

• Like 1

I've used WD-40 on mine when I had an 'episode' of it not opening. Touch wood it has been good for the last year or so.