Superb Mk3 spare wheel

20 hours ago, Summerhillred said:

Secondly, that doesn't look like a full size 18" alloy and tyre in your picture

yes, that was OEM 18" spare, i posted it as tool kit illustration

edges cutting must help to fit it also in full size disc

767804837_18_Toolkit_ED.thumb.jpg.c992e542e14cf6eeaa8f2ab6da70354f.jpg

10 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

I’m wondering, wouldn’t the 195/55r18 tire be the best option for cars coming with 18” space saver 125/70r18?

(like the 4x4 Scout that I have)

tire size is optimal, but don't think it will fit on the OEM spare disc

just illustration, this online tool doesn't allow set with 125 and doesn't move tire on offset change

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=135-70-18X4ET35&wheel2=195-55-18X6ET40&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm

195 tire will require 6J disc while OEM 125 looks about 4"

@MartiniBAhh you’re right - I forgot about the rim width..

So I still see an issue with the spare kit with either 17” and 18” options.

As you mentioned, the 18” space saver kit doesn’t fit on the standard 18” rim.

I’m pretty sure 16” spare kit will fit on the 205/60/17 tire with standard rim.

Btw the second hand alloy wheels seems to be cheaper than 17 inch steel ones 😂

Especially if you’re looking for a single rim..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My car currently has the standard fit 205/55 R16 spare wheel. I'm thinking of getting the tyre changed to a 205/65 R16 tyre as this seems the best compromise - i.e. will allow use of cruise control, and minimise risk of damage to Haldex (mine is a 4x4 2.0 TDI).

What I'm currently wondering is what would be the best tyre to put on it. I would rather not spend too much and it looks like these can be had for as low as around £70 from budget brands (Sunny, Westlake, Autogreen etc), just wondering if this is a false economy or not. Obviously hoping not to have to use it much but of course you never know.

Any suggestions for brands/tyres which offer a good price/performance balance would be appreciated.

@Dieselgate

all season at least -

at first case in far 2017. i mounted regular noname 205/65r16 summer tire, and i didn't had to use it.

then, one year ago, i moved it from 2016. Mk3 220ps to 2023. Mk3.FL 280ps

and when came this "waited" moment i noticed 16" rim is too small for 280ps even on the rear axle.

had to bought new spare tire 205/60r17 Dunlop Winter Sport 5

1. branded, because will have to use it for several months, can't order anywhere 225/55r17 Michelin Alpin 6 in the midle of season

2. winter, because happened in December

• 1 month later...

Finally bit the bullet yesterday and got my OEM 205/55/R16 spare changed for a 205/65/R16 tyre. Went for a Nexen Nblue HD All Season Van. Essentially it seems that pretty much all tyres in that size are van tyres so didn't have much option. I guess it could be a bit noisy etc but I can live with that (chances are I will never need to use it!)

I intend to fit it in the next few days to check that it enables use of cruise control as I'm off to Germany next week and couldn't face a long journey home without cruise control (and at slow speed) in the event of a blowout!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Finally bit the bullet yesterday and got my OEM 205/55R16 spare changed for a 205/65R16 tyre. Went for a Nexen Nblue HD All Season Van. Essentially it seems that pretty much all tyres in that size are van tyres so didn't have much option...

There are lots of cars that use the 205/65R16 tyre size, so naturally there are many car tyres in this size...including the below example of a summer tyre.

Vredestein Ultrac 205/65R16 95W (Euro label A A 70dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s2785p210548/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Ultrac_205_65_R16_95W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_A_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

Edited by Carlston

10 hours ago, Carlston said:

There are lots of cars that use the 205/65R16 tyre size, so naturally there are many car tyres in this size...including the below example of a summer tyre.

Vredestein Ultrac 205/65R16 95W (Euro label A A 70dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s2785p210548/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Ultrac_205_65_R16_95W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_A_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

Yes of course - wasn't able to find any all season tyres though. I'm not really too bothered about it being a van tyre overall, it's unlikely to be used much.

2 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Yes of course - wasn't able to find any all season tyres though. I'm not really too bothered about it being a van tyre overall, it's unlikely to be used much.

mytyres are listing four all-season car tyres in size 205/65R16, from Falken, Hankook, Maxxis, and Michelin...so they are available.

The standard load index of the car tyre in this size is 95 (690kg) and the load index for the van tyre in this size is usually at least 105 (925kg)...so the van tyre can support at least 34% more weight, and that's likely to come at the expense of a big increase in the weight and stiffness of the tyre.

One advantage of the all-season van tyres in this size (for use as a spare tyre) is that they are often available as a non-directional tyre...whereas most of the all-season car tyres in this size are directional.

Edited by Carlston

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got round to testing my new spare wheel today (no blow out, just decided to swap the wheels and see how I got on). The main question I had was whether the cruise control would work or not and I'm very happy to report that it does indeed work perfectly. I didn't take it far, probably a total of about 5 miles and no more than about 50mph but no issues at all so I'll certainly feel a bit happier on my longer trips to mainland Europe knowing I have a spare that I can at least do a semi sensible speed at and use the cruise control.

The Nexen all season van tyre I got is indeed non-directional so ideal as a spare, the tread seems more similar to me to that of a winter tyre than an all season. 

All in all, very happy with what I've got and it makes you wonder why Skoda don't fit it as standard. I find it rather disappointing that the only spare wheel option on the new Superb is a space saver whereas the new Passat which is effectively the same car is offered with a full size alloy spare as an option.

• Like 3