Battery replacement? Confusing...

Hi, first post, go easy.

Been googling battery replacement for my Mum's 2016 Fabia, which has led me here. The car has occasional charging warnings flagging up, so I purchased a new battery to fit, which is still sitting in the garage as I may not actually need it after reading some of the content re the st/st system flagging up charging warnings. It shows no other signs of a lay battery, charging voltage around 13.8-14.0 at idle.

So, the thing to do would seem to be to disconnect the st/st system? Can I then fit a bog standard battery rather than the £100+ item sitting in the garage? Will this lead to any other charging issues/warnings? I despise st/st systems personally, and have it disabled on all my other vehicles.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Is it the original battery?

Has it been tested?

What mileage/use is the car getting?

Have you charged the battery?

6 hours ago, Plynchy said:

charging voltage around 13.8-14.0 at idle.

Perhaps a little low.

6 hours ago, Plynchy said:

have it disabled on all my other vehicles.

Is there not a button on the RHS dash, above the light switch, where you can turn the stop/start off?

Is the battery you have in the garage an EFB type?

To many questions I think. 🥺

Thanks. AG Falco

Current battery is a MOLL, EFB type. Haven't had it tested as it's showing no signs of degrading performance wise besides the occasional warning message.

Car gets light use only with occasional decent run out, owner is my Mum who is in her 70s. I'd expect the battery to suffer during the winter months but it still sounds very strong to me.

Battery was charged a few weeks ago via my Optimate.

I've no concerns over the charging voltage.

I'd have to check re switch, but have disabled it in the control panel previously, but does this still leave the charging system active?

Just checked the replacement Lucas battery, it states AGM, so not sure if that's compatible?

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Plynchy said:

I'd have to check re switch, but have disabled it in the control panel previously, but does this still leave the charging system active?

The switch on the dash only stops the stop/start from working but resets it's self after every ignition cycle.

This will not change the charging system.

Would suggest charging the battery regularly with the use it is/not getting.

1 hour ago, Plynchy said:

it states AGM, so not sure if that's compatible?

Yes, but the car needs to be programmed because of the change of battery type.

An AGM is better than an EFB type.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Plynchy said:

Haven't had it tested as it's showing no signs of degrading performance wise besides the occasional warning message.

That is a sign and warning that the battery needs charging.  Best is not to wait for any warning messages or lights but rather when required charge the battery in some way.  The use of an appropriate charger maintainer and fully charging the battery will give you peace of mind that the battery is full rather than assuming so with any drive of the car.

but it still sounds very strong to me

That might be an error to rely on that, a battery that is low may start the car and the lights seem bright enough.  It is better not to let the battery get too low as and low too often as it is more difficult for the battery to fully recover again.

There are a lot of very complex computer programs on the car, the computers run on 5v so if the battery gets too low all sorts of unexpected warnings and lights might appear perhaps worrying your mother when possibly all that is required to get rid of them is to (fully) charge the battery.

have disabled it in the control panel previousl

If you want you can do what others have done and disconnect the grey connector at the negative battery terminal clamp and this will disable the stop/start

replacement Lucas battery, it states AGM, so not sure if that's compatible

An AGM battery is compatible but needs 'coding' in.

I and others have put loads of information on this forum and site about the battery (and its importance), on checking the state of charge of the battery and charging the battery but if you have any more questions on it or the stop/start just ask, someone will usually reply, often with others replying.

• Like 1

Timely post, yesterday I had a low battery warning on my 2021 fabia (pre owned from dealer) with no previous issues. I usually commute 40 miles 5 days a week, i suspect being off this week with no use and the cold and age of battery are to blame for todays non starting. Multimeter states only 11.8v 😞 Popped on charge so will see what happens, hopefully not a new battery! 

You've not done the battery any favours getting it that low but if you use the appropriate charger/maintainer, preferably as low amperage as you can get for as long as possible (especially to match the discharge on this occasion) and get the battery fully charged you might not need a new battery and get more useful life out of the battery for a reasonable time to come.  ETA: Car batteries are one of the most oversold car parts, don't believe the VW Skoda battery sales promotion about having to change the battery at 4 or 5 year.

Do read/check the car's Owner's Manual and charger maintainer instructions, it is not against any law to do so despite what many may think or say.

Never wait for any of the car's warning lights or messages, prevention really is better than cure, same for battery you can use an appropriate charger/maintainer for preventative charging of the battery and this will also prolong the battery life.  Many don't realise that hot and  very hot weather can be draining for the battery which might weaken it for fun and games in autumn or winter.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/519903-flat-batteries-on-the-first-working-day-of-each-year

Edited by nta16
ETA:

Damn, I charged it and it's started no problem but now theres an engine management light on, after further reading (and being old school) thought I could charge like any other car but appears I should have used the post on the chassis for negative 😞 

I brought the car to skoda on other side of town about 5 miles and they did a battery health check saying the battery is fine. 

Bit more googling and have reset the light by turning ignition on and off several times, didn't honestly think that was gonna work! Now to investigate whats the best way of maintaining the battery as mentioned by @nta16 above 👍

29 minutes ago, PaulCanning said:

but appears I should have used the post on the chassis for negative 😞 

😄 Well, you know what they say, when all else fails, read the $"£$%^&t manual.  😄

1 minute ago, PaulCanning said:

Bit more googling and have reset the light by turning ignition on and off several times, didn't honestly think that was gonna work! Now to investigate whats the best way of maintaining the battery as mentioned by @nta16 above 👍

Or start the car and turn the steering wheel full lock each way whilst having the lights and air-con blower on, or just go for a drive.

I've put loads of posts up on best way for charging but it boils down to what I put in my posts here, or just ask here and I'll post a reply later, cheers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nta16 said:

😄 Well, you know what they say, when all else fails, read the $"£$%^&t manual.  😄

Or start the car and turn the steering wheel full lock each way whilst having the lights and air-con blower on, or just go for a drive.

I've put loads of posts up on best way for charging but it boils down to what I put in my posts here, or just ask here and I'll post a reply later, cheers.

Yep, should've RTFM lol.

I've had a look at several of your posts re charging, theme seems to be "low and slow" any recommended chargers? My main issue is Ive a designated space and not right outside my house, had to run the extension lead past 2 neighbours doors and a public footpath, not sure how I feel about leaving that overnight 😞 

Uhmm, lead on public, smacks of possibly charger getting nicked or where's there's blame there's a claim.  🙂

For using the charger maintainer as a preventive measure I think you want to follow the Owner's Manual guide of 0.1, so a 69Ah battery would be 6.9 amps charger and as they're more likely to be available as 8 or 6  than / amps I would go for 6 as a maximum but prefer a 4 amp which will be slower than a 6, so being practical ithe 6 might be better for you as being practical again you can't leave a lead out over night.

You might have to do several part rechargers in a row  to get the charger to show full and go into maintenance mode.  You could perhaps disconnect the battery and take it inside for a partial charge to speed up the process a bit as it should be warmer inside and and not going against any of the cars systems still running, then next time  charge the battery on the car so the car's computer system knows the battery is being charged for the remaining charge(s).  Obviously read the Owner's Manual to see what might need resetting after reconnection and how to lock the car and get back into it without battery power.

Whilst the battery is below full recharge you could be more thrifty with the power consumption of  the battery to take less out of it, things like cancelling stop/start, using the air-con as little as possible, scraping the rear window, door mirror and windscreen fully of ice and snow so you use the heaters less, don't have anything electrical (other than safety items) running without the engine running, preferably driving.  Think of the battery like a bank account, the  less you keep taking out and the more you keep putting in the quicker it will fil.  If you continue with this thinking after the battery has been fully recharged it will run down more slowly and charge quicker, by the car and/or if required the charger maintainer.

There are plenty of charger maintainers about, I use a Ring Smart Charger & Maintainer RSC804 (4 amp, you may want the RSC806)  the display's not brilliant but it has cold weather setting for when below IIRC (+)5c.  The 4 amp version I've been using is fine but I can and have a couple of times left it plugged in outside on cold mode overnight charging on our hard (luck) standing. 

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RSC806

https://www.ringautomotive.com/files/mydocs/RSC804_RSC806_RSC808_Instructions.pdf

HTH,

• Like 1