Maybe a problem with haldex?

Hey guys! I have a wierd problem with my o3 fl 4x4 2.0 tdi mt, when i turn left, it makes a sound, something like when your break pads are worn, but not quite, more like a rumble or something. The sound is coming from the front wheel, only when the car is drivien and in the range of 10-70km/h, when i steer while stationary it's ok, no other simptoms, no vibrations in steering wheel. The dealer said it could be from the wheels, but i changed them and still does the same. They said that mechanically it's perfect. Any ideas? Could be something with haldex?

Edited by blacky14

1 hour ago, blacky14 said:

The sound is coming from the front wheel

Could be something with haldex?

Haldex connects only to the rear wheels, so it's extremely unlikely to be anything to do with the Haldex IMHO.

Sounds most like a front wheel bearing to me?

• Like 1

I might suggest a couple of areas to look at:

1) It won't be the Haldex system....but I do suggest doing/getting a replacement filter and fluid change done on that system every 28,000 kms.

2) I suspect it will probably be:

a) The wheel alignment is out / unbalanced wheel.

b) The disc brake shield has rotted through (a common issue on MK3's) and is rubbing on the disc. 

It is also possible for the drive-shaft linking the front and rear boxes together - for that shaft to become unbalanced - which also only shows itself up at the speeds you mentioned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your replies, new update. 
Today i found out that if the car is in neutral (Manual Transmission) the sound is gone.
I went to a shop and they said i should bring the summer tires and see if the sound is still there after i run with them.
They said it may be a bearing but then, why is the sound gone when i m in neutral?
Also, i taked the 4x4 fuse that s inside the car out and the sound is still there. Is there any other fuse that i don't know about?

Don't start popping out random fuses. You will end up in a world of pain! Codes galore! Sounds like the shaft linking the front gearbox with the Haldex system has become unbalanced. Get it rebalanced.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Sounds like the shaft linking the front gearbox with the Haldex system has become unbalanced. Get it rebalanced.

@varaderoguy

Pray tell, how do you arrive at that conclusion to a rumble sound from a front wheel when turning left between 10 and 70 km/h?

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

You have experienced a rumble noise from the front wheel when turning left caused by an unbalanced propshaft?

Was it a garage that told you that by any chance?

Update. It s the wheel bearing, but it s so early on and that is why is sounding only when turning. At the shop, they lifted the car, and accelerate and it sounded like a bearing when going forword. so yea, wheel bearing.