skoda Rapid Spaceback 2017 1.2 TSi Smell in Cabin

My low milage 2017 Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSi has been suffering from smells in the cabin that i thought were exhaust or crankcase breather. when you stopped at say traffic lights after about 20 seconds the smell would start from the air vents or start as you drove away and then dissipate as you drove, on a M6 long motorway trip when stopping in traffic it was terrible and I was getting headaches. I looked for the cause, changed the cabin filter, had the exaust checked, looked for a broken crankcase breather etc etc.  Eventually booked it into my local Skoda deaker in Crewe and yesterday while I waited they diagnosed the problems -  failing spark plugs causing unburnt fuel. I don't fully understand how this was getting into the cabin and not going out the exhaust but new spark plugs solved the problem and the car is now smell free.  As my car was booked in for for its normal service in a months time on a service and extended warrenty plan there was no charge.  I had not experienced misfires or rough running. The mechanic said he could tell the problem when he lifted the bonnet and smelt what I thought was a normal engine smell. Very pleased with the outcome.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Good that it did not cost you for the spark plugs,

?

How many miles has your car done?

Had the Spark plugs been replaces as per Guidelines / Recommendation / Schedule in 2021 / 40,000 miles?

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg.ae72883e03ebfe07c56e6881a86e16a9.jpg

Very low...... 20,000 miles.  

• Thanks 1

That just shows then why many are not keen on low mileage cars.

If the Plugs were overdue replacement that is why it is at 4 years / 40,000 miles.  What was called a 2nd Major Service but really a first Major because at 2 years old that is not and was not a MAJOR Service.

Now Air Filters at 6 years.  They should be inspected at every service. IMO.

The old days, 2019 and earlier. 

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

My point about the smell and the cause was to help identify the cause of the problem to others, there are meny posts on this site that point towards crankcase breather - this was different.

It was not a critisim about Skoda service or service intervals, my car has always been serviced from new by a Skoda main dealer and I have been happy with the service.  

I am just mentioning your spark plugs because you did, and good they were free.

Personally i think while the cover was off, the ignition coils were removed, the plugs changed and everything was put back there was a breather pipe re-attached that had become detached.

But i only say that, because i do not believe the spark plugs were the issue.  But they were overdue replacing,

I went all round the engine with a fine tooth comb looking for one of the obvious reasons and I couldnt find one, I am familiar with with working on cars as for a long time in my life I regularly did 40,000 miles a year commuting and could only afford to do the work myself. I have no reason to disbelieve the mechanic.  

Were any of those a TSI?   The plugs can be good for 60,000 plus years, but sadly there are 1.2 TSI,s that they are not good for 4 years, same with 1.0 TSi,s.

I am just surprised there was no Engine Light / Exhaust Emissions, or EPC or even both, but those were maybe not far away.

?

Were you shown the spark plugs that were removed?

?

Did you not consider looking at the spark plugs when doing look arounds and when might they have been getting changed since the car is 7 years old and only done 20,000 miles?

Maybe at this upcoming service.

Edited by Rooted

I've got a 2014 1.2Tsi engine in a Toledo it's approaching 35k miles, never had it's plugs changed. I may change them in the coming months but the engine is running sweet ATM.

Never heard of  spark plugs (old/worn) that could be causing smells inside the car. But if it's fixed the problem👍

I can understand failing spark plugs causing unburnt fuel but I would expect it to go out the exhaust and maybe give rough running. The smell was coming in through the cabin vents but not if I had it on recycled air. 

Indeed the important thing was it was fixed and at no extra cost to me, it was literaly giving me headaches................