Easy fit dash cam

I've a dual dashcam. But I fear I can't help your, since I have no direct wiring. The front one is plugged on the OEM A5 camera, with a "Y" connection. The rear one is supplied tru the video cable, which is routed from the front one.

8 hours ago, Stunts said:

As a minor aside, I have a front dashcam fitted with a piggyback fuse into my fuse box, but I'd like to find a switched live at the rear of the car for a rear camera. Mine's a Superb Saloon. Has anyone fitted a rear camera and found a reasonable rear end 12v switched feed, please? Ta.

Why not get a dual dashcam that has front and rear capabilities then you just need to run the video feed to the rear camera - no additional powers and grounds.

3 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Why not get a dual dashcam that has front and rear capabilities then you just need to run the video feed to the rear camera - no additional powers and grounds.

that was my initial thought as well but then I thought...

"ah maybe the OP doesn't want to have to run any sort of wiring down the length of the car"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Because I already have a Nextbase 612gw front (4K top of the range at the time) and a spare 422gw for the rear. I have no need to buy another set and run the cable. If I wanted to do that, I'd just run a cable to the new one anyway.....

4 minutes ago, Stunts said:

Because I already have a Nextbase 612gw front (4K top of the range at the time) and a spare 422gw for the rear. I have no need to buy another set and run the cable. If I wanted to do that, I'd just run a cable to the new one anyway.....

Fair enough.

there aren’t many switched lives left on cars nowadays, it’s all permanent with canbus controlled wake up.

You could change the 12v socket to ignition only and use that in the boot if you wanted?

2 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Fair enough.

there aren’t many switched lives left on cars nowadays, it’s all permanent with canbus controlled wake up.

You could change the 12v socket to ignition only and use that in the boot if you wanted?

This isn't a easy as you might think. In older VAG cars one could move the fuse position to change between switched and permanent. There isn't that facility in the Superb mk3 that I'm aware of, hence my question :)

8 minutes ago, Stunts said:

ahhh , the 612 (unlike the 422) cant have a rear cam or driver facing cam connected to it can it?

1 minute ago, Stunts said:

This isn't a easy as you might think. In older VAG cars one could move the fuse position to change between switched and permanent. There isn't that facility in the Superb mk3 that I'm aware of, hence my question :)

I'm sort of thinking the "easiest" solution  to a lot of these questions about ignition switched feeds to accessories is to add a fused feed direct from the battery switched by a relay triggered  from the apparently infamous fuse 47.

Then again maybe it isn't ;o)

39 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I'm sort of thinking the "easiest" solution  to a lot of these questions about ignition switched feeds to accessories is to add a fused feed direct from the battery switched by a relay triggered  from the apparently infamous fuse 47.

Then again maybe it isn't ;o)

There's the rub. Anything is possible if you feel like stripping the car. I am by no means inept at electrics (I've fitted an Audi towbar to a modern vehicle in the past and I'm currently restoring a classic with sensible, analogue wiring), but there must be an easier way..... Maybe tap into the rear light feed??