Easy fit dash cam

I have just fitted my next base dash cam. It has been in five or six cars. This was the easiest fit of them all. The wire went behind the trim at the top of the windscreen easily. Down the left hand side of the screen, fairly well Hidden. When I pulled off the oval shaped piece of trim at left of the dash, there was a bolt for the earth. (10 mm bolt) I used fuse number 47, which is the one for the rear wiper. The spare cable tucked away behind the oval cover.

*When I started I took a photo of the fuse diagram with my phone, which made things easier.

Yup, exactly how I wired in my Next Base dash cam - been working great for the last 2 years , I sometimes forget that it is on!!

7 hours ago, Jodanuke said:

The wire went behind the trim at the top of the windscreen easily. Down the left hand side of the screen

I hope they are not ran across the width of the A pillar in any place as this can cover and obstruct the airbag and there is a chance if it was to deploy, it may not deploy properly.

Pet peeve when people (including garages and halfords) do this!

Not saying it will cause issues, but if your airbags are deploying, youd want them to deploy with no wires wrapped around them

• Like 2

To me, a safe way to route the wire (or video cable if a dual dashcam) along A-pillar is to remove the trim and then to fix the wire/cable to existing harnesses with tie wraps.

This way it can't cause an issue if airbag needs to deploy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 to remove the A-pillar trim and run the dashcam wiring along the existing wiring loom.

It is easy to tuck it under the A-pillar trim and just run it down to the side of the glovebox fuse panel, but that will likely fowl the curtain airbags from deploying properly.

The A-pillar trim is a pain in the behind to get back in but it's the proper method.

This is mine, in the process of cable tieing the dashcam wiring to the existing wiring loom next to the windscreen, away from the airbag (white).

Screenshot_20240127-110539.thumb.png.8ef3ef50e12b66ea8b899489402d3143.png

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Folks - found front dash cam easy enough to fit. However, why is the exact same dash cam make and model not sticking to my rear window of estate. Is it the heating element? I’ve tried cleaning the window; using a bit of water on the sticky pad, etc but to no avail. It does stay stuck for a few hours then falls off. Ideas? Thanks. 

Does it fall off when/after the heated window has been on? Every car I have had, the cam falls off when the weather is warm.

1 minute ago, Jodanuke said:

Does it fall off when/after the heated window has been on? Every car I have had, the cam falls off when the weather is warm.

No, actually I’ve not tried it since the end of last summer so the heated window would probably make it worse lol

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask a stupid question? 

Is there anyway to pick up power for a dash cam from the rear view mirror area? 

I'm thinking that there is lighting in the roofline so could it be used? 

7 minutes ago, mrcreosoate said:

use alcohol to clean your window before sticking things , and the cars fuse box is by the drivers right knee . very easy to run a cable to the rear view mirror .

I realise this but as easy as that may be if there is an easy 5v pick up at the mirror,  as in the latest Octavias that would be easier.  

Just thinking out loud really. 

Again, not quite answering but I ran my neatly under headlining above windscreen, down behind door rubber, under glovebox, and then up, along, and down to cig lighter. Barely see the cable except where it comes down far side of infotainment screen and even then if you’re looking for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fatfred said:

Simple answer - no.

The interior lights turn on/off based on varying conditions, which is not good for a dashcam.

• Thanks 1

I was in my Skoda dealer last week waiting for an MOT. Noticed Skoda advertising "the first bluetooth dashcam" iirc around £230 also "compatible with nextbase rear dashcams"

Didn't read the blurb but assumed there would perhaps be no wires involved

Edited by xman

58 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Simple answer - no.

There's an option on the Superb to have 5v USBC connector for a dashcam in rear view mirror.

I have this on my car but didn't use it yet.

Do they run an additional harness for this option or is the connector always there?

4 hours ago, Fatfred said:

Yes, this exists. It mainly depends on the dashcam manufacturer that you chose.

Those who propose OEM looking dashcams often use this solution.

Indeed, mine was delivered with a "Y" harness, which I had to insert on the A5 camera wiring to get a power supply connection. This way, I didn't have to plug on the fuse box.

70mai A500 is regarded as a good option by local club mates. I use my ancient Mijia and ran the cables above the a-pillar and inside the door seal -> under glove compartment and straight to the USB below the cigarette lighter. The latter is linked to the Amundsen and switches off when it should, eliminating chance of battery drain.

5 hours ago, Gabbo said:

There's an option on the Superb to have 5v USBC connector for a dashcam in rear view mirror.

I have this on my car but didn't use it yet.

Do they run an additional harness for this option or is the connector always there?

correct, the option is there from MY21 onwards, on a number of new models.

Optional USB-C port above the rear-view mirror - Škoda Storyboard (skoda-storyboard.com)

that is certainly handy to have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

correct, the option is there from MY21 onwards, on a number of new models.

Optional USB-C port above the rear-view mirror - Škoda Storyboard (skoda-storyboard.com)

that is certainly handy to have.

There's my problem then, MY21. Mine is MY20.... door rubber route it is then. Its the usual way I was just hoping to be lazy! 

Great information, thanks all.  

53 minutes ago, Fatfred said:

I was just hoping to be lazy

Mirror USB-C does not provide enough current for some models of dashcams (2A).. In order to overcome it, an adapter from C-type to A-type has to be fitted in this tiny spot, and then plug the dashcam cable into the A.

Adapter small

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2024 at 07:00, Fatfred said:

There's my problem then, MY21. Mine is MY20.... door rubber route it is then. Its the usual way I was just hoping to be lazy! 

Great information, thanks all.  

So it wasn't via the door rubbers at all. The air bag just keeps going and i wasn't going to cross it!!

As previously mentioned between the dash and the A frame, below the dash board,  then up the side of the windscreen, tucked neatly in and then across the top. 

The only issue I had was fuse 47 missing,  no rear wiper,  but the good news is although the output from the fuse is missing (there's only one set of contacts, so half a fuse holder) the fuse holder half that is there, is live. Happy days. 

Edited by Fatfred
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a minor aside, I have a front dashcam fitted with a piggyback fuse into my fuse box, but I'd like to find a switched live at the rear of the car for a rear camera. Mine's a Superb Saloon. Has anyone fitted a rear camera and found a reasonable rear end 12v switched feed, please? Ta.