DPF end of life options?

The DPF on my car is coming to its end of life. there's more smoke and smells and active regen takes longer, and needs more time at uninterrupted high speed and revs to complete.

I assume there will come a time where even 20 mile loops at 2500 rpm several times a week won't cut it anymore. Don't think the DPF will live to see 300,000. But who knows, maybe warmer weather will do it some good if it makes it through the winter. 

Question is, what exactly is causing it to die? Is it acculated ash that "doesn't burn"? In which case, can it be "washed out" or "blown away"? Is it some kind of chemical thing where the materials are being used up? In which case it's irreversible. 

Does "dpf cleaning" work on a DPF with high mileage that isn't just used for short trips around town? ie, has been used under ideal circumstances, as it has obviously having lasted this long.

Or is the other other alternative to a new DPF is to delete it? Is deleting it a cost effective way and work well / pass MOT?

The car is currently being used for work, so I can't just delete it right now. I probably would depending on the price if I found a new job, which I have actively begun to do. If the DPF dies before I find a new job, how many extra miles would a clean add?

any recommendation for a specific type of dpf clean (i think additives / machine differ) or a place for dpf delete?

2 hours ago, newskodadriver said:

any recommendation for a specific type of dpf clean (i think additives / machine differ) or a place for dpf delete?

A local to you taxi driver may know stuff.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 18:24, Paws4Thot said:

A local to you taxi driver may know stuff.

So I haven't found a recommendation so far, but I did have a conversation with someone who drives a Octavia, similar age but with 10000 more miles on the clock. 

Apparently his DPF is now affecting his fuel economy (though his regens don't have smoke). But fuel economy is so far not impacted on mine. 

So, maybe mine will hopefully last another 10000 miles before I have to spend any money on it 

Edited by newskodadriver