Skoda tow bar for vRS Combo

Hi - my dealer is telling me that no Skoda towbar is now available as an approved accessory. Looks like I have to get an aftermarket for my new vRS due to be delivered this week. Does anybody know can I can an aftermarket that will function like the OEM tow bar with knowing the trailer is attached and turning off rear parking sensors, rear auto braking and also changing stability control to account for the trailer? Any recommendations for a decent removal option appreciated

Towing equipment Octavia IV 5E3092155A 

A removable towing device that is specially designed for the Octavia IV model.
Towing equipment Octavia IV

The electrical installation kit is not part of the set and must be ordered according to the equipment:

• for cars with preparation 5E3055202B
    (includes control unit 5H0907383C)
  • for cars without preparation 5E3055202B + 5E3055204B

This towing device cannot be installed on Octavia RS iV (PHEV) hybrid vehicles.

This towing device is intended only for Škoda Octavia IV RS cars.

It is not intended for the Škoda Octavia RS iV or for cars exported to Australia.

Edited by Carlston

On 01/02/2024 at 12:42, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

We've fitted a few genuine towbars on the new Octavia now 

Your dealer probably just doesn't want the job 👀

I dont think so - he's fitted tow bar's before but just with this car said he can't get the tower in stock the standard one in stock (for other models - not the vRS) but said he can't order the correct one - i.e. the one mentioned on the previous post 

5E3092155A 

I'm currently looking to buy a 2021 Octavia IV (PHEV), I did a lot of research regarding towing as I need it to tow our caravan; all the websites I have found say it will tow 1500kg, I phoned up my local tow bar fitter who said he could fit a towbar (gave him the registration so he should have had the right details), so we went to test drive the car, one of the first things I checked was the weights plate on the b pillar which stated a train weight of 0kg, so we left very disappointed, the route home went close to a Skoda dealers so we nipped in and asked them about it, it was a Sunday so only the sales team in, and the guy said all his paperwork said it would tow 1500kg. So Monday I phoned them again and asked service dept, who put me through to parts dept, who put me through to someone else, who said (drum roll) it has to be factory fitted, it cannot be retrofitted.

So I am very interested in any light that anyone can shed on this, the way I see it even if I could get a towbar fitted the weights plate would make towing anything illegal, unless you can change the weights plate?

Is there anything substantially different about the IV’s with towbars or is Skoda just trying to keep ,the money in-house?

3 hours ago, Steve_1 said:

I'm currently looking to buy a 2021 Octavia IV (PHEV), I did a lot of research regarding towing as I need it to tow our caravan; all the websites I have found say it will tow 1500kg, I phoned up my local tow bar fitter who said he could fit a towbar (gave him the registration so he should have had the right details), so we went to test drive the car, one of the first things I checked was the weights plate on the b pillar which stated a train weight of 0kg, so we left very disappointed, the route home went close to a Skoda dealers so we nipped in and asked them about it, it was a Sunday so only the sales team in, and the guy said all his paperwork said it would tow 1500kg. So Monday I phoned them again and asked service dept, who put me through to parts dept, who put me through to someone else, who said (drum roll) it has to be factory fitted, it cannot be retrofitted.

So I am very interested in any light that anyone can shed on this, the way I see it even if I could get a towbar fitted the weights plate would make towing anything illegal, unless you can change the weights plate?

Is there anything substantially different about the IV’s with towbars or is Skoda just trying to keep ,the money in-house?

My understanding is that it says 0 on the plate if the car isn't pre wired for a tower. Skoda however sell a kit if it isn't pre wired so surprised dealer is saying factory only

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, casati said:

My understanding is that it says 0 on the plate if the car isn't pre wired for a tower. Skoda however sell a kit if it isn't pre wired so surprised dealer is saying factory only

If it says 0, it isn't type approved for towing and therefore cannot legally tow anything. 

10 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

If it says 0, it isn't type approved for towing and therefore cannot legally tow anything. 

It would be nice to know the criterium for the 0kg towing limit, I have a 21 plate VRS Diesel which had no pre wiring but

mine is rated at 2000kg.

so why the difference ?   

• Sponsor
3 hours ago, RADIOTWO said:

It would be nice to know the criterium for the 0kg towing limit, I have a 21 plate VRS Diesel which had no pre wiring but

mine is rated at 2000kg.

so why the difference ?   

Depends on type approval, it's nothing to do with whether the car was prewired for a towbar or not 🙂

20 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Depends on type approval, it's nothing to do with whether the car was prewired for a towbar or not 🙂

I had gathered it had nothing to do with if it was prewired, and I cannot see why a Hybrid should be limited to 0kg, but I believe there is some petrol/diesel cars have the 0kg.

I have been into towing most of my Driving life and most of the restrictions are due to the kerbside weight of the car, basically  the heaver the car the more you can tow, there are a few other things that come into it.

When I had my own transport business and had some Sprinter vans the towing limit was 3500kg but I got a van that was only 2800kg and that was no good to me as I towed a 3500 trailer so I was put onto a company that could re rate the van, so I got in touch paid the £120 (i thing) and in return received a data plate with 3500kg towing limit and no mods to the vehicle.

Admitting I was not going to ask questions as I got what I needed, but wonder if something like that could be done with the 0kg that are on some of the cars nowadays