2013 2.0 TDI. Pre-emptive maintenance? Goal is to reach 20 years and half million kms.

I just joined the forum, posted a picture of my 2013 Superb II 2.0 TDI L&K being all practical, and now I am asking my first question. Please point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.

What pre-emptive maintenance ideas you have, in order to drive reliaby e and reach 20 years and half million kms?

The plan is to own and run the car for another decade, and go from 245k km to 500k km. And form that long term angle, I am happy doing any work that will help the car get there. I already do the regular maintenance. Just recently did all the  filters, fluids, and in the last couple of years did timing belt and DSG. And I change my battery every 4/5 years ahead of the winter. So basically, I am following the basic book of maintenance.

But based on members' experience, what is worth doing to prevent issues or prolong useful life? Or to anticipate any breakdown?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting idea, thank you. On the one hand, the car has been winter driving on heavily salted roads for 10 years. So maybe some damage is already there. But this would probably prevent from it getting worse. I will look into it. I wonder how much it is to get this treatment done, and where. 

Not sure about rust problems. My SII is now coming up to 10 years and I do not have rust - a few bolts underneath have superficial rust.

we have the same 2l TDI and I would suggest to not to stick to the long life oil change recommendation. I change engine oil every 12000miles and will change DSG and Haldex very regularly.

24 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

Not sure about rust problems. My SII is now coming up to 10 years and I do not have rust - a few bolts underneath have superficial rust.

we have the same 2l TDI and I would suggest to not to stick to the long life oil change recommendation. I change engine oil every 12000miles and will change DSG and Haldex very regularly.

All depends on the climate and type of car parts. Also the life. A motorway car suffers a lot more I find. My Octy2 is pretty poor looking underneath and some rust in places likely from driving rain/salt 

Whilst its not going to make your car unreliable, I think the top edge of the front wheel arches, starting from the innermost lip, are prone to rusting.

It's as if the wheel arch liners, when they are removed (for cambelt replacement on a diesel, so maybe not happening on petrol models), they scrape the paint  on the inside edge of the wing, leaving it prone to rust.

It starts off out of sight, then works its way around the bend and upwards onto the vertical face of the wing.  I've seen this on quite a few older Golfs, Passats etc., and it's started on my 2019 Superb, but is still out of view.  A close-up picture with a camera, using the flash, will reveal the paint bubbling at the lip, if it's started.

In a different vein, my heater fan motor had started very gently squeaking when spinning down/turning off.  On both occasions this has happened, I've popped the motor out and lubed the lower bearing.  (The carbon brushes seemed a reasonable length, btw).  Has this prevented an eventual motor seizure and replacement?  Who knows?  The car has done 155,000 miles, it's a 2009, 1.9 PD. I bought it at 20,000 miles.

Edited by CombatWombat
  • Like 1