Help with tuned second-hand fabia

31 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

About 7K miles before the tune the spark plugs and the air filter were replaced. The tuner has quite a high reputation it seems so I am not too bothered about that. He also said to run on 98 or even 102 when the price is nice...

That sounds better but you won't need 98 let alone 102 for factory settings, though a couple of tankfulls of petrol with higher additive packages now and again might not hurt, if reasonably possible.

If the plugs are correct for factory tune then you can leave them for their 4(?) year service - but if you fit service and maintenance parts now yourself now you know what parts have been fitted when and how for sure so you can have the confidence of that and plan their replacement.  A part can look OK and function but still be beyond its optimum and reasonable service and performance life.

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the info.

I ordered a new air filter and when replacing that in a few weeks time Ill look into what spark plugs are being used and Ill order them. Then ask my mate to help fit them becouse he has all the tools.

I will remove the tuning as well. Since I am quite young I just want a car that works, and even the stock 95hp tsi is quite nippy from what I've heard (I mean, Im 19 y/o and I have worked years to pay for a nice car like this, would be a shame if the gearbox or something broke becouse of the tune)

The tuner said that a simple motor update or something is enough to remove it, does that sound right?

I did have plans to clean the car nicely. Since the carwax and interior detailer stuff only costed me 50 euros that will be worth it.

Aaand again, thanks for the loads of free information. Best advice I have ever gotten on a forum.

EDIT: Just saw your last reply and you're right. If I change the simpler things such as an air filter and the spark plugs now, I can mark them with a little sticker so I know when it needs replacing. Driving 30 minutes to get to Germany just to refuel 98 cheap doesn't sound doable either for the next 8-10 years I am planning to have this car. In short: jut get the tune removed and have a bit more peace of mind and not worrying about things breaking quicker than they should/could.

Edited by jensbakker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

Ill look into what spark plugs are being used and Ill order them. Then ask my mate to help fit them becouse he has all the tools.

You won't know for sure what the plugs are until you take (all three of) them out so wait for your mate with the correct tools.  If your engine air filter box is like my wife's that's enough of a PITA as it is, hidden screws underneath plus the spring clips that really need the correct pliers but can be moved with adjustable slide pliers (and a bit of swearing in my case).  Have a big cloth to lay the air box on if you don't want to scratch the face side.

10 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

Im 19 y/o and I have worked years to pay for a nice car like this

Well done on you.  Such a new car at your age too.  Bit different to the car I had and 19.  😄

13 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

The tuner said that a simple motor update or something is enough to remove it, does that sound right?

Sorry I have no idea, ask the tuner or your mate for a good example.

15 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

Since the carwax and interior detailer stuff only costed me 50 euros that will be worth it.

For some cars I used to take two whole days to clean a car when I first got it and another two whole days when I was putting it up for sale, seats out (not so easy now with airbags), wheels off, roof to underside but those days are long gone cost me too much time, hassle and materials.  On the outside I now just use any good make on low price offer of waterless (though it's not truly as you have to wash the microfibre cloths, no fabric softener though) wash and wax (with carnauba) and a very few other cleaners/polish)  On my wife's Fabia I unusually just clean the lights (except headlight, Plexus), door mirrors and number plates and perhaps the rear widow and wiper - see and be seen.

wwashnwax.thumb.JPG.e9a74296117fb217143ee7b603781785.JPGba    

27 minutes ago, jensbakker said:

I can mark them with a little sticker

Keep an electronic record backed up by hardcopies (printed paper) as computers are unreliable, buy a folder or ring binder and plastic envelopes for say A4 paper printouts, record work done and approximate date and mileage no need to be anal just the relevant stuff or even just a running record that deletes previous work that has been done and only keep the most recent of that work and/or parts.  If you sell the car all this looks impressive plus you can easily check how long things last and when replacements might be needed or plan for such.

Rooted - cable- ties/wraps, main part of a TVR tool kit.  😄

• 4 weeks later...

Heyo there,

As promised I'd send you guys an update.

I asked my friend to mount the new spark plugs and the new air filter (both of which were still in decent shape) and I have decided to keep the tune. I've asked my friend for advice and he told me that if I really want to use the power, I should do it after 3000rpm which seems about right (he said it had to do with engine torque etc and trying to push a car when it was or wasn't moving).

I've also mounted new ATE- brake discs and pads and will get the brake fluid done next week.

I am really happy with the fabia - very economical and super relaxed to drive! Thanks all for your help and advice!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I know this topic is a few weeks old but I thought I would wade in with pennies worth. 

I have a 2017 mk3 Fabia Monte Carlo Estate 1.2tsi 110hp.

It is currently dynoed to 195 bhp with 214 lb/ft of tourqe.

To help with your query, the gearbox is stock 6 speed (PRQ, MQ200) with stock clutch and runs full power with no slipping etc. These clutches and boxes are good for 300nm of tourqe as long as you don't abuse them. Like no 6000rpm clutch dumps. There is a difference between fast driving and being a ****. 

Spark plugs: NGK Iridium plugs are the go to, platinum plugs get eaten in 40k miles. Please make sure the seats are clean and debris free before fitting new plugs else you will get blow by, evident by a brown powdery coating around the bottom of the coil tube. Be careful when cleaning out muck and debris to ensure it does not fall into the engine. A greasy cloth is good to lift bigger particles out. 

Filters, change as usual. 

Fuelling : my first round of tuning came before E10 arrived and I ran E5 but once E10 came on the scene I switched to it hoping to save money on fuel, so I had the engine remapped again to run on E10. This was very successful although I lost a couple of horse power and about 10% to 12% of my excellent fuel consumption. However I soon realised that at the end of the day the cost broadly balanced out so when I had my hybrid turbo fitted and stage 3 custom map carried out I went back to E5. This car is now incredible. Producing 194hp, I have decreased my fuel consumption and consistently get 44 mpg at 80 mph on the motorway, similar around town and up 55 mpg on country roads. Top speed is currently out of reach and off the clock. 

These engines are near bullet proof as long as you don't abuse them, like all engines. Be a ****... Pay the price. 200hp on the 1.2tsi is not detrimental if you drive properly, I.e, don't thrash the crap out of it, there is no need, it's a light car with lots of go. 

Your 140hp will stand you in good stead if you treat it well. No need to worry at all. Just enjoy it for what it is. If you drive long distances, as I do, having the extra power is extremely useful, don't waste it by detuning the engine, embrace its efficiency and effectiveness and enjoy. 

A word on brakes: if the car has not had the brakes upgraded, do so at your earliest convenience. I recommend fitting Brembo Max discs all around, or Brembo Sport, take your pick and fit Brembo Extra pads or for the 'Sport' discs fit the matching pads, I can't remember the name, sorry. Also fit a full kit of Braided brake hoses. This will improve braking about 200%. And you should be good to go. 

You might want to upgrade the suspension at some point as the Fabias are a bit sloppy when it comes to handling. There are some great systems out there but bare in mind that you get what you pay for. Do not buy cheap. Save and buy quality. I'm running BC Racing Coilovers and love them although they do run a bit hard, but after all they are track orientated. Bilstein or Koni would suit your requirements I think. 

Tyres : probably the most important thing, how else is it going to stick to the road? I recommend Michelin Sport Pilot 4. They are excellent in all aspects and will keep you pointing in the right direction in all but extremely cold weather when the tyres just don't get up to temperature. Otherwise you can hang off the edges real well. A lot of the track guys use these as wet weather race tyres... Says it all. 

If you want any further advice I'm happy to help. Also very helpful chaps at:

https://www.jbs.co.uk/

All the best. 

Edited by Compstructor