Is it possible to add lane assist?

Hi,

I have Skoda Karoq 2022 ambition. 

It has only Front assist, I am interested if it is possible to add lane assist to my car by buying software from dealer or need to install special thinga to my car. 

3 hours ago, Besimmm said:

Hi,

It has only Front assist, I am interested if it is possible to add lane assist to my car by buying software from dealer or need to install special thinga to my car. 

From what I've read on the subject:-

1. No.
  2. You don't want "Lane Enforce" anyway, because it will try and second-guess what you should do and get it wrong more often than not.

On 05/02/2024 at 00:12, Besimmm said:

Hi,

It uses a lane assist camera in front of the rear view mirror (the celebrated HD camera that looks like a V... The slot aperture, they are precision set on the glass), can't be done with the other cameras, you need auto steering as well etc. The answer is as above no. You might find that the coding is controlled the Vag mothership, Vin controlled so even if you had the parts you'd be stuck. In the cars coding you have additional modules.

Just now, Tell said:

But you would have the camera with lane assist. That's the lane assist camera. Chicken and egg.

No

Some Cars are configured with only traffic sign recognition and no lane assist. But they do have the camera (because of traffic sign recognition).

So as long as you have the camera you can add lane assist, high beam assist, traffic jam assist and emergency assist. Last two only if you also have acc

It's true that the lane assist camera is used for TSR. I have not come across any that have TSR without lane assist. Seat have not sold TSR without lane assist. Now the lane assist cameras cant be assumed to be configured to TSR. People have tried and its been identified that all lane assist cameras can't support TSR. Seems to be true with VW where I've come across people trying to do that and checking seriel numbers of the lane assist camera you can't. The logic is not in them. It may go the other way.

At the of the day if you have not got a V shaped camera it can't be done for lane assist and I very much doubt lane assist can be post fitted. If it was a DIY task, you'd have to have it calibrated on Vag equipment the same as when the front windscreen is refitted and the camera stuck back on.

Always trusty East Yorkshire Retrofit to ask questions like that too if UK based. That is their bread and butter work retrofitting equipment which hasn't been bought with the car.

On 05/02/2024 at 00:12, Besimmm said:

Hi,

You can retrofit anything, if the skill, determination and money are available to get it done.

Whether the cost of the retrofit is worth it is debatable, but it can be done.

I was quoted £680 to retrofit ACC on my Octavia, at which point I decided I'd rather keep my £680 than add adaptive cruise control to my car.

If you need a new camera as well as other bits, lane assist could be an expensive "upgrade" for you.

There's no guarantee you'll actually like it when it's fitted, as it's one of those features that can be really helpful, but can also be quite annoying/surprising in its behaviour.

A quick search online tells me it's likely to cost you in excess of £1000 to get it fitted by someone, but you might be able to do it cheaper yourself if you can get the bits, have the skill and access to the calibration kit.

"Might" is the operative word. Fitting it is one thing, getting it working how you want it to work is quite another.

I have mine permanently turned off !. If you like to drive into pot holes it's the thing. The MQB Evo cars get effected by the one where it doesn't know whether you are driving on the left or right so triggers the no undertaking function of braking when over taking and brakes automatically. Can be coded out. The other one is defaulting to permanently on like stop / start, specific new models now have  lane assist defaulted to always on. That can be coded to remember the last setting as at ignition. VCDS/OBDELEVEN can be used on both of these.

The technology is bad news if you like to drive a car. The only good thing going for it is TSR. In Wales were 20mph has been introduced on mass in build up areas but still optional for councils to vary the instrument the digitised maps and the beep warning help to keep you driving at the new road speeds which now vary markedly. Saying that people are will fully ignoring the new speed limits but will be done soon enough after the run in period.

The other issue with lane assist / TSR is it incorrectly reads the speed limit signs and brakes. Here with the councils going on the spree to put up 20 mph limit signs on side roads overnight on day one of the new rules, TSR reads the side road sign as you go past at bends and junctions. Will reset it once it reads a new segment of digitised road later. These are signs put up in haste without any thought of TSR and auto driving. You can override the breaking procedure.

On retrofitting there was one incident where a female hobbyist fitter bought all the parts and fitted the virtual pedal to an Ateca. It didn't work since it needed to be married into the coding of the VAG mothership. Dealers couldnt do it since with the VIN of the car it wouldnt give them the screen to do it. Was beyond Obdeleven / VCDS. There is a German company that sells the parts now. East Yorkshire Retrofit tell be it can now be done, four years ago it couldn't be. They never got the foot wiggle to work or even the button to lift the boot. A tidy sum of money to waste on something that didn't work.

22 hours ago, Rainesh said:

All front camera'-s support TSR only some need a dataset and update of firmware. Not all people know that 

I don't think the 20 lowline camera supports TSR, only the A5 highline camera.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I don't think the 20 lowline camera supports TSR, only the A5 highline camera.

21 hours ago, Tell said:

22 hours ago, Rainesh said:

There is no high or lowline A5 camera. There is only 1 A5 camera. 

I know, what I meant was that the 20 is a lowline camera, and the A5 is a highline camera.