Fault codes P0627 P0629

robbie62

I'm having a problem with my Fabia Greenline 1.2 TDI 2014

Running well until the warning light (glow plug like) started to flash.

Once the engine was turned off it stopped flashing when it was started up again.

Plugged in my own Obd2 and pending code P0629 showed.

I have noted that the warning will not show the first time the car is used every day, but once it is started up again after being turned off for around 45 minutes the light will come on.

In the last couple of days a second code P0627 has been recorded on the OBD  and a  clicking noise can be heard from near the cabin fuse box,but this stops after the engine has run for around a minute.

Last night after a trouble free run...2 hour park up....The warning light and buzzing noise (for around 1 minute) activated and then the engine management light on. Once home I plugged in the OBD and the fault code P0629 had gone from pending to active.

Today again the car warning light and buzzing came on after starting up after an hour park up but the management light not active.

I'm waiting on an auto electrician to attend but would be grateful for any assistance that can be supplied.

The VIN number is TMBFK25JXF3038943

I looked for fuel relay switch,believing it was in the panel at the end of the dashboard but having taken the end panel off its not within sight/ reach.

In case the auto-electrician has yet to turn up.

Generic codes relating possibly to fuel, clicking possibly the relay.  A VW specific scan tool tool may give more info and if higher level more.  Don't rely on the scan tool to always give the exact answer rather as a pointer to the area of issue and (another) diagnostic tool.

Always check the basics though, are you battery terminals clean and battery terminal clamps clean and secure on the battery terminals, main and minor earth connections and wires clean, protected and secure.

Any electric issues (if it is) and diagnostics best to have the car battery fully charged and not low or very low in charge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice..I’ll charge the battery up overnight after checking the terminals and connections.

Interestingly it happened on starting up this morning but the management light went out after I started it later in the day..almost the reverse of what has been happening.

Auto electrician is meant to come tomorrow 🤞

• Like 1

Use an appropriate charger and maintainer and follow the instruction in the car's Owner's Manual (especially if you have stop/start) and the instructions for the charger maintainer.

Get it on charge ASAP (after checking terminals and connections) and use as low amps charge for as long as possible to fully charge the battery (as much as possible before tomorrow's visit), quick and fast won't be as good.  If the battery is at a good charge and in good condition it won't take as long to get to full and you can leave it on maintain.

If battery terminal and/or main earth connections are poor and/or the battery is in a very low state of charge (and perhaps condition) and you sort these things you might not need the auto-electrician but if it's other, as well or instead of, you will anyway or a full run of diagnosis and perhaps wires and connections wiggling (and perhaps heating and cooling).  Or it might be pump or its relay or something left field perhaps.

Good luck, let us know how you get on and what the final resolve is.

On 06/02/2024 at 18:45, nta16 said:

Use an appropriate charger and maintainer and follow the instruction in the car's Owner's Manual (especially if you have stop/start) and the instructions for the charger maintainer.

Get it on charge ASAP (after checking terminals and connections) and use as low amps charge for as long as possible to fully charge the battery (as much as possible before tomorrow's visit), quick and fast won't be as good.  If the battery is at a good charge and in good condition it won't take as long to get to full and you can leave it on maintain.

If battery terminal and/or main earth connections are poor and/or the battery is in a very low state of charge (and perhaps condition) and you sort these things you might not need the auto-electrician but if it's other, as well or instead of, you will anyway or a full run of diagnosis and perhaps wires and connections wiggling (and perhaps heating and cooling).  Or it might be pump or its relay or something left field perhaps.

Good luck, let us know how you get on and what the final resolve is.

Auto electrician was a no show..

I had to buy a new charger suitable for “ Stop start” and have fully charged the battery after cleaning the terminals and making sure fuses were securely in place.

Ran the car today…40 miles all good.Parked up and on starting about 2 hours later the warning sign and then engine management light came on. Waiting on a neighbour who is a mechanic to bring along his commercial diagnostic machine.

Have to get it sorted as daughter just passed her test and don’t want to let her out  in a car that has problems!! 

• Thanks 1

So annoying when you get a no-show especially if they don't let you know beforehand and don't contact to apologise at any point, perhaps something happened that prevented all this, otherwise it's the usual level of professionalism from some professional tradespeople (well men almost always).

All being well it could be something quite minor, a higher level commercial scanner suited to VW programs should help more, may still be something basic like wires or connections.

If you need to replace a sensor don't go for cheap new unless you're certain it'll work fully and reliably for a reasonable amount of time, paying more for original as fitted at factory can sometimes  work out cheaper in the short, medium and long term, even perhaps second-hand factory original are better than cheap unreliable new but of course s/h can be a gamble.  Fuel pump or relays (depending on relay) is usually just get a good reliable make, Mk2 owners and others would know about this for your model whereas I don't.

The battery charger maintainer will still be a good investment, pass it on to your daughter, if she doesn't pay the electric bills at home she may think a car's electric supply is limitless and can be consumed as fast and as much as she wants at anytime - or fit a coin slot-meter off the car's battery.  😄  I hope you'll instruct her to check the tyres and brake fluid.  To clear the whole car of snow and not just turn the wipers and stereo on and drive off - and if she's borrowing it to return to you with at least as much fuel, if not more.  😄

Let us know how you get on with car in the end, daughter I expect will be ongoing.  😄

Good luck.

• Like 1