Retractable parcel shelf

IanRoberts

Don't know if this in correct section so apologies if not. I have a 2018 Karoq Sel 1.5. Bought in Dec and am really happy with the car. I do have one small issue I'm hoping someone can help with? The roll cover parcel shelf. The "anchor points" that are on the boot trim. It looks like previous owner either attached cover incorrectly or there is a manufacturing issue with the trim. The plastic tab that attached to the cover is practically snapped. You can see the plastic has turned white where it looks like it's been forced into a position or direction it wasn't meant to. So as I drive along or close the boot the cover unhooks on the one side and sags. Drivers side is fine. I've tried to search for solutions but not sure on correct terminology for my issue. Can anyone help, even with a work around???  Have added a pic of the piece that's broken to try and explain better Screenshot_20240206-095529.thumb.png.28a962a31e94698aeb5396b381f805e5.png

You can see the plastic has turned white where it looks like it's been forced into a position or direction it wasn't meant to

Yes, I guess its been forced. I've had my Karoq for a couple of years now, and the first time I needed to remove the boot cover was about 3 months ago. At first I couldn't quite work out how to detach the clips, so I referred to the manual. It was easy once I saw exactly how to do it, but I suspect it would have been easy to try and force the clip the wrong way. I suspect someone has done that to yours.

Its probably a complete new boot cover...

Official parts here https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/57a867871a9b9-boot-blind-skoda-36775.html

There appears to be a couple on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355381054670?chn=ps&_ul=GB&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=355381054670&targetid=1814673647222&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046412&poi=&campaignid=19089547614&mkgroupid=142438599285&rlsatarget=pla-1814673647222&abcId=9303859&merchantid=101456720&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ZqDxvCWhAMVZwYGAB3JjgMLEAQYAiABEgKHzvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305364198984?chn=ps&_ul=GB&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=305364198984&targetid=1814673647462&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046412&poi=&campaignid=19089547614&mkgroupid=142438599285&rlsatarget=pla-1814673647462&abcId=9303859&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ZqDxvCWhAMVZwYGAB3JjgMLEAQYAyABEgK24_D_BwE

• Like 1

Ian, as noted it's not against any law to read and refer to the Owner's Manual as they can give you a lot of information about your car and can sometimes save you a lot of time, effort and expense.

Also sometimes the Skoda Dealerships sell items and parts at a reasonable or good price so it's worth asking there, I've no idea about that item though.

@NottsIan just for info, might interest you or it might not, the eBay links can be shortened to just the end of the item (itm) number, as examples from above.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355381054670

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305364198984

• Like 1

The boot cover clips themselves are fine, it's the "bits" attached to the actual boot itself that are broken?? Would I need a complete boot panel or could it be repaired??? 

Ah! sorry didn't appreciate that.

I'd go out and have a look at mine but its raining at the moment...

If the weather's decent tomorrow (and I remember!) I'll go out and have a look...

• Like 1

Ahhh no worries pal, I appreciate all advice and tips. I agree though that it looks like previous owner attached cover to boot incorrectly. I'm wondering if it could be plastic welded or something. 

• Like 1

If you still have the broken bits you could try superglueing all back together or possibly(?) it looks like to me in your image that the whole clip piece might(?) come out of the inner boot panel(?) and possibly available as a replacement part/fitting(?).  But I've no idea as I've never seen one.  You might be able to prise them out using a suitable plastic tool or implement or careful use of a screwdriver and cloth so as not to scratch the plastic panel pattern.  Or it might be easier to remove the whole plastic panel and see wot's wot - but again I don't know.

For future car stuff photos, if  taken in landscape they usually offer more frame information than in portrait (depends on shot of course)  - possibly two clips in frame with landscape, a broken clip and other not broken, if possible.

Not clear from photo if the 'hook' part of the tailgate fitting is intact or not, or if there has been some sort of glued repair made? But if there is enough of the hook remains still in place, could you drill a hole through it big enough to pass a small zip tie through, which you can then feed through the little 'bar' on the retractable cover so as to keep the two parts together? It would mean the retractable cover would be permanently in place, but you could still cut the zip tie if in the future you ever wanted to retract the cover.

• Like 1

If the weather's decent tomorrow (and I remember!) I'll go out and have a look...

t looks like to me in your image that the whole clip piece might(?) come out of the inner boot panel(?) and possibly available as a replacement part/fitting(?).

Ok, Ive just been out to look at mine and it does seem that the clip is a separate insert in the boot panel. I suspect you'd have to detach the panel and then the clip probably pushes out from the front. It will be obvious once the panel is detached. Whether the clips are available as a replacement part ? that's another question.

and then of course, its how do you detach the panel ?

If the panel is difficult to get out then perhaps going to the Skoda Dealership parts department looking at the parts drawing and see what these clips parts look like and if they secure to anything out of sight, find the cost and availability of the clips and buy as required.

Or as I put I might try to carefully prise the clip part out of the panel.

Looks like possible this clip might have been glued already, image not high enough resolution for my eyes to tell.

Good luck.

kkkkii.jpg.db84947b41d7205fa1ad57cd87bc5410.jpg

Edited by nta16
spelling

Looking at mine in the car, I think there's a flange on the insert which sits against the inside of the boot panel. That prevents it from coming out forwards and so takes the force of the retractable blind. It doesnt seem to be secured in any other way. My guess is that with the panel in place it can't be pushed out (of the panel) from the outside , since it will be prevented by the boot door metal. Once the panel has been removed, I suspect the insert can simply be pushed out of the panel, a new one inserted and the panel replaced on the boot lid.

Edited by NottsIan
  • Thanks 1

You have the car, clips and panel so would know better than I as I'm only guessing really. If you say there's a full flange rather than tangs then that's it as I can't find the clips to look at on a Google search.

Someone with access to ETKA may be able to put up an image showing the clips which may or may not show detail of the clip but at least there would be a part number to do more search on,, clips just brings up panel or other clips.

This is why I'd try a Dealership parts department.  I got a plastic "emergency" lock cover and another time a plastic seat handle from our (very) local Dealership for a lower price and quicker than ordering elsewhere.  They can show you and even print off the relevant parts diagram.

You have the car, clips and panel so would know better than I as I'm only guessing really

I'm only guessing to some extent, I can't see behind the panel to see exactly how the insert is held. Having said that there does seem to be slight movement on the insert, hence my guess that its not securely help by clips , rather it just sits  against a flange.

As you say, ideally we someone with EKTA access...

• Like 1

@NottsIan if a clip is broken already you can take more risk on getting it out, taking regard of the plastic panel of course, but if the clip is unbroken as in your case you can't be expected to risk breaking anything just to find out how it's fitted in, good of you to look.

My thoughts were that if this retractable parcel shelf is really a retractable cover, without any additional support to the cover, and it retracts under not too much pressure then the clip fittings don't require that much reinforcement to the fixing.  Why they might be so fiddly or not straight forward to hook up I don't know as I've never seen one but a bit of "design" can add to perceived value and selling price.

I don't know but I was also thinking If this retractable shelf is an extra to the model often then there might be blanking plates before the clips are fitted and I'd expect them to be quick and easy to replace with clips otherwise fixing time is lost whether the installation is paid extra for not.

So many different plastic fitting on cars just for hold covers and panels on let alone bag hook, nets, etc., etc .   .   . 🙃

Be interesting to find out now how the clips are held in and removed.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

My thoughts were that if this retractable parcel shelf is really a retractable cover, without any additional support to the cover, and it retracts under not too much pressure then the clip fittings don't require that much reinforcement to the fixing.

You are correct, it is just a retractable cover. It has reasonably strong springs, its not something you just unhook and let go, It would retract with some speed! You have to handg on and let it retract slowly. Its not designed to take any weight but if something was accidentally placed on it, the fabric is reasonably strong and so would probably put quite a strain on the retaining clips.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

the fabric is reasonably strong and so would probably put quite a strain on the retaining clips.

Thanks, that' what made me wonder also about a bar or other form of reinforcement or load spreading but I'm probably flattering the build.

If the weather isnt too bad tomorrow I might go out and see if I can get some better pictures of what the inserts and fasteners on the cover look like. Might give you an idea on how to help the other Ian with a possible repair