Multiple Electrical Problems

Hi All

I recently bought a Skoda Octavia S TDI 1.9 Estate. I've got a few problems with it though it drives beautifully.

The drivers window doesn't work (it's not stuck the motor isn't turning)

The speakers in the doors don't work

The rear window wiper doesn't work (moves freely by hand)

The back doors won't lock or unlock with central locking system. I'm pushing in the mechanism by hand to lock the

I thought it could be the door loom in the driver's side. I pulled back the rubber bellows and it looks fine. 

Could it be some kind of control unit? Any advice would be really helpful

Firstly,

a/ Take off each door card in turn

b/ Carefully remove or roll up out of the way the plastic sheet (remember to put it back in place before replacing door card).

c/ Inside all 4 door shells you will see a multi-plug for the harness

d/ Unplug the two halves and inspect for any contact corrosion.

e/ If they look ok give both halves a good squirt of contact cleaner and re-connect.

f/ Finally carefully wrap the connector block in a plastic sheet using ty-wraps, paying special attention to get a good seal around the cable harness, this is where the water gets in.

NB: What happens is water / condensation runs down the cable harness and collects in the multi-plug (these are not water proof) and causes corrosion on the contacts.

Some owners have even found that on or more connector pins have completely rotted away. (Replacement pins/sockets are commercially available).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

wire looms looking fine and being fine can be different things.. get a multimeter in there and start continuity testing them, in case theres any breaks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...