Coming home lights behaviour

Now that I'm finally a fresh owner of a Rosstech HEX-NET cable, I've obviously started enabling the usual things on my new Superb and one thing I thought I might tackle is the behavior of the coming home lights.

While they are already enabled and can be adjusted from the infotainment I do have a question on why they behave the way they do in comparison to my old Octavia 1Z from 2007.

All this is with the lights switch always on auto - I never really touch it.

Octavia behavior:

- park the car, switch off the engine and pull the key out. (xenons stay on)

- open the door and hop off. (xenons stay on)

- walk away, lock the car. (xenons stay on)

- eventually, when the timer was out, they would turn off.

Superb behavior:

- park the car, switch off the engine via the button (xenons turn off)

- open the door and hop off. (xenons turn back on)

- walk away, lock the car (xenons stay on)

- eventually, when the timer runs out, they would turn off.

I would like for it not to turn them off with the engine... I don't see the point of it as I do want the coming home timer to start when I stop the engine.

So the way I see it might be a question of when the timer starts. I see the point in this somewhat as you ensure you have your 20s from the moment you hop off but I don't see the point in turning them off only t turn them back on again.

Can it be changed so it starts when switching the engine off? 

Additionally, can it extend when opening the door so that if your timer doesn't run out by the time you open the door, your door would extend it once more?

Edited by Inex

Of course - but could it be configured to do so? I suppose there was something that caused my old car to do that.

A 2007 Octavia and 2019 Superb are completely different electrically as they are based on different platforms...

Take a look at the adaption channels in 09 on your Superb:
ENG141656-ENG116604-Außenlicht_uebergreifend-Coming-home Einschaltereignis,Driver door

That seems to be the 'activation' reason for coming home so maybe see what options you have :)

• Like 1

Was your old car was not the issue for VW Group at testing pre WLTP / RDE2.  They could just cheat.

So now the lights are not using energy if not required.  Vorsprung Durch Technik.   Advances in technology, or if it is not broke do not fix it. 

One way around this if you have stop start enabled is to park up, let stop start cutout the engine, the leave the car without pressing the ignition button.

The lights will stay on, and when you lock the car, the ignition will automatically turn off & coming home timer will be started.