New Yeti Owner DPF Question

DoubleDoodleLover

16 minutes ago, DoubleDoodleLover said:

Needing a bit of advice, I’m a new Yeti owner 2.0L TDI Adventure 2013.

I recently put in a Dpf cleaning additive and have noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust, is this normal

Well, at least the snake oil is clearly doing something this time.

The only DPF additive I've used is the Miller's one which lowers the temperature that re-gens kick in, so you don't have to take it for a thrash down the motorway first.

• Like 1

I used this stuff last week . Nearly at the end of the tank diesel this week after a few long drives on the weekends and short week day commute journeys. I have noticed the fans have not come on when parked up after short journeys as it did when i first had the car but that could be  because it had been sitting on the sales forecourt for a bit and not been driven .

Had my adventure 110 CFHA about 3 months now. Great car  for country   roads and motorways . nice and comfortable . I do find that in normal city driving it really doesn't like being in 4th gear unless I am doing at least 40. 

the new speed limits in wales of 20 mph  on some roads I find myself in third gear most of the time .  my car is on 98,000 miles so i suspect its not as smooth as brand new turbo or car.  But then again i am  used to petrol cars and tuned ones at that  

5dd1b025344dfa64dcd1de45aea5291d.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cupra101 said:

I used this stuff last week . Nearly at the end of the tank diesel this week after a few long drives on the weekends and short week day commute journeys. I have noticed the fans have not come on when parked up after short journeys as it did when i first had the car but that could be  because it had been sitting on the sales forecourt for a bit and not been driven .

Had my adventure 110 CFHA about 3 months now. Great car  for country   roads and motorways . nice and comfortable . I do find that in normal city driving it really doesn't like being in 4th gear unless I am doing at least 40. 

the new speed limits in wales of 20 mph  on some roads I find myself in third gear most of the time .  my car is on 98,000 miles so i suspect its not as smooth as brand new turbo or car.  But then again i am  used to petrol cars and tuned ones at that  

5dd1b025344dfa64dcd1de45aea5291d.png

My fans came on too once I put my additive in. I took some advice and drove it down the motorway in 4th (3000rpm) and since then no smoke or fans. So I take from that that the additive did its job 

1 hour ago, DoubleDoodleLover said:

My fans came on too once I put my additive in. I took some advice and drove it down the motorway in 4th (3000rpm) and since then no smoke or fans. So I take from that that the additive did its job 

No, it'll be the other way round...

• Like 1

I put about a litre of DPF cleaner down the o2 sensor hole, it sits for 15 minutes before the engine needs to idle for another 15 mins.

Smoke is a big grotty and smelly, but differential pressure was down afterwards so it did something. 

• Like 2

On 17/02/2024 at 17:53, Prezafab said:

The only DPF additive I've used is the Miller's one which lowers the temperature that re-gens kick in, so you don't have to take it for a thrash down the motorway first.

How can it possibly do that?

The ECU decides when the conditions are correct for it to command a regeneration, oil temperature and DPF temperature are both input parameters, if snake oil were to be able to lower either of these temperatures which I doubt the regen would not be commanded.

On 17/02/2024 at 20:04, cupra101 said:

Mine is a 110 CFHF and will drive happily at 30mph in 6th gear as long as you accelerate gently until reaching 35mph at which point it will accelerate smoothly even on a wide open throttle.

It was like yours but not as bad until I cleaned out all the clag build up in the throttle valve, dependant on the mileage and how it has been driven yours might really benefit from some spring cleaning, the flexibility and fuel consumption both improved dramatically on mine.

Its remapped now but was the standard 110hp minus several lost ones when I declagged the intake.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

How can it possibly do that?

The ECU decides when the conditions are correct for it to command a regeneration, oil temperature and DPF temperature are both input parameters, if snake oil were to be able to lower either of these temperatures which I doubt the regen would not be commanded.

Well I've never had a DPF or EGR valve problem in all the years I've been using Miller's DPF cleaner and/or Millers diesel Powermax.

Maybe you should email [email protected] and ask them ?

• Haha 1

They are not the one making the claim on an internet forum.

I have not had a DPF or EGR valve problem since I identified as a goat.

Was your remap on a rolling road or one of those tuning box things?.  I will have ago at cleaning the throttle body and change the air filter as well. I'm used to fiddling with 1.8 turbo Vag engines and i thought there was no room in that engine bay to get your hands around things . 

Had to change the thermostat last month what a faff loads of bits to remove before you can start.

A new DMF is definitely on the cards soon and then a remap to take it to 140bhp like the 4X4 adventure model. 

On 20/02/2024 at 10:11, J.R. said:

They are not the one making the claim on an internet forum.

I have not had a DPF or EGR valve problem since I identified as a goat.

@J.R. GOAT? Vale46? Is that really you ??

No, those words mean nothing to me but I'm intrigued now!

It was the first ridiculous term I could think of that would hopefully not be taken as offensive by a sensitive soul, I know one member dresses as a fox so thought I would be safe with goat!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

GOAT = Greatest Of All Time - Valentino Rossi, No46 

Just a tad behind him-CarloDiesel a little bit older.