Buying a Superb

Hello fellow Skoda enthusiasts,

I am eyeing a Skoda Superb Estate 2016 L&K, it's great - only maintained in Skoda, with proper intervals (DSG oil changes ofcourse as well) and everything. The only worriesome news about the car is that it has 250,000 kms.

It has DSG 6 and is 2 TDI 190 p.s. with Matrix headlights. No ventillation in the seats and no digital odometer only, rest of the extras are available.

After speaking with the person that sells it, he said that he just wants to get a SUV, so that's why he sells the car, he also sounds like a Skoda enthusiast as he is known in the Skoda groups in Bulgaria as being one of the pioneers there.

He owned the car for 3 years, where in this 3 years, it has been driven for 70 kms on the highway and a bit in the city by his wife to get the kids, as he works a job that requires him to travel a lot and has a company car for that. Before those 3 years, he bought it as an import from Germany, where he did all the checks /VIN/in-depth Inspection in official Skoda service and the car had full record in Skoda with proper changes of oils and everything.

He changed DCC suspension with new one, as on 230km he noticed an issue, changed the front glass with original one because of sensors and yeah.

I've been going around in the wbsites in Bulgaria and most of them are around 180-190K.

Is 250k too much and should I be worried for gearbox/engine issues or am I overthinking this? 

Hi.

This is just my opinion, so I'm sure that not everyone will agree.

I only ever used to drive manual cars, however, my last 3 have all been VAG DSG Skoda 6 Speed.

I've always been concerned about DSG Longevity, but fortunately I've had no issues to justify this. (to date).

Seeing that the car which you're considering has had a lifelong Skoda history (6 DSG Oil Change Services, or thereabouts?).

250,000km = 155,000 miles... Personally that wouldn't be a problem for me at all.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GordoGT said:

By the way.

If this forums allows... Check out the mileage on this UK DSG Superb 3.😲

Skoda Superb DSG 395.000 km.PNG

Incredible machine. 

1 hour ago, GordoGT said:

Hi.

This is just my opinion, so I'm sure that not everyone will agree.

I only ever used to drive manual cars, however, my last 3 have all been VAG DSG Skoda 6 Speed.

I've always been concerned about DSG Longevity, but fortunately I've had no issues to justify this. (to date).

Seeing that the car which you're considering has had a lifelong Skoda history (6 DSG Oil Change Services, or thereabouts?).

250,000km = 155,000 miles... Personally that wouldn't be a problem for me at all.

Hope this helps.

I don’t have the full history at the moment for the 250k km car, but I’ll be sure to check it out as soon as the car is here. 

• Like 1

Do you have a link to the ad? Older diesels tend to have problems with differential pressure sensors of the DPF. I’d also steer away from remapped ones.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GordoGT said:

By the way.

If this forums allows... Check out the mileage on this UK DSG Superb 3.😲

Skoda Superb DSG 395.000 km.PNG

If that's a UK spec car and not an import why does the mileage show in km??

NB these are the 3 highest mileage cars I see currently on autotrader rather than FB marketplace (oh hang on is that FB being a twot? Ive noticed on the desktop it shows km fopr everything in marketplace but miles on my phone. So that could potentially be 395k miles!!!!)

image.thumb.png.4c462e3caadb702dc28c477f0f7501bc.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, naster said:

Do you have a link to the ad? Older diesels tend to have problems with differential pressure sensors of the DPF. I’d also steer away from remapped ones.

Hey! It's not posted on ad, I put a post in a Bulgarian Skoda Group, and somebody messaged me that he thought to purchase SUV type of Skoda, because of the area they live, and want to sell their Superb. It was an idea and we discussed how it was maintained when it was with him and before, and he said "The first owner in Germany was buying even his tyres from Skoda" that type of a person.

So it was really good.

There's no remap or anything AFAIK but it's not bad to ask and check. 

3 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

If that's a UK spec car and not an import why does the mileage show in km??

NB these are the 3 highest mileage cars I see currently on autotrader rather than FB marketplace (oh hang on is that FB being a twot? Ive noticed on the desktop it shows km fopr everything in marketplace but miles on my phone. So that could potentially be 395k miles!!!!)

image.thumb.png.4c462e3caadb702dc28c477f0f7501bc.png

Facebook always displays is Km, not miles.  A truly bizarre decision from Facebook.  

I'm inclined to agree that those FB Marketplace Mileages are actual Miles and not KM, as shown,

which makes you smile all the more in the knowledge that VAG Diesels, (and Petrol Engines, of course), can be, and usually are with good maintenance/treatment, pretty damn robust, and capable of Galactic Mileages! 🤩

9 hours ago, Immortaltech said:

sell their Superb

Skoda club members usually get their older cars sold to other members without even bothering publishing an ad. Everybody knows who topped up wiper fluid and when, what brand and at what price.

• Like 2

Hello folks, an update!

I went to see the car last night, travelled 250km in a direction.

The car is amazing, it has the "smaller" navigation, that is on 16 models, where it has for example just 3 ambient light options.

The car doesn't have 'stove', but it has front window heating, no ventillation on seats and no digital cockpit.

Everything was great, car is smooth and rides very well, BUT! my rear passengers said there's a very loud/big noise coming from the back, like plastic frictioning against metal or something like that, that was a constant noise.

Might be due to tyres, as the owner said with the summer tyres this noise isn't that much. This will be looked at a service before we proceed further.

Any thoughts? 

I'd bet on a bearing - I've been warned those could fail during warranty period. Is it the 4x4 cause I seem to have missed that.

28 minutes ago, naster said:

I'd bet on a bearing - I've been warned those could fail during warranty period. Is it the 4x4 cause I seem to have missed that.

After discussion and in depth, the sound- when with summer tires is a lot less, so should be tires, right? 

I don't have any notion of friction noise in the back with my winter or summer tyres on. They should hoist and inspect it.

Could well be saw-toothing of rear tyres. My 16 Superb did it and it sounded like a wheel bearing. Had an advisory on mot for wear on rear tyres and changed them. Noise gone :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Could well be saw-toothing of rear tyres. My 16 Superb did it and it sounded like a wheel bearing. Had an advisory on mot for wear on rear tyres and changed them. Noise gone :)

Thanks for the reply mate!

I believe it might be something like this, as the tyres are R18 Nexen and are 5-6 years old, as far as I understood from this guy.

My mechanic will hoist it, as @naster mentioned, and will review it.

We can also put some new tyres to see if it's going to be gone.

Additionally, currently the Superb 2016year is with R18 rims I plan to go to R17 or R16 rims, depending on the manufacturer recommendation, as I value comfort over looks.

• Thanks 1

Glad to be of help hopefully. I had the tyre man come and change them on my drive for me. The wear on the old ones was quite uneven but there was still quite a bit of tread. They were about 4 years old at the time I think. New tyres solved the noise problem straight away.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Immortaltech said:

Additionally, currently the Superb 2016year is with R18 rims I plan to go to R17 or R16 rims, depending on the manufacturer recommendation, as I value comfort over looks.

The L&K comes standard with 18” or 19”. The DCC makes sure no comfort is sacrificed with 18” I can assure you that. I would not sacrifice the looks if I were you.

• Like 1