Skoda Fabia 1.2 07 petrol engine 120k burning oil fast likely valve seal or piston rings - no sign of leak. 

Anyone had success with engine tear down and rebuild to solve this issue? 

Or is it just easier to find a lower milage engine?

Furthermore, has anyone ever replaced piston rings successfully in a VAG vehicle? - I.e runs for another 50k or more. Or any vehicle for that matter? 

Is it possible to diagnose a valve seal burning oil over piston rings? And is it worth fixing if time and skill are not a factor? 

Start with the diagnosis, you need a compression test done to determine whether the piston rings are sealing properly or not. Then you need to make sure the PCV system is working properly.

• Thanks 1
  • Groan 1

9 hours ago, Davidmb said:

Anyone had success with engine tear down and rebuild to solve this issue? 

Or is it just easier to find a lower milage engine?

Furthermore, has anyone ever replaced piston rings successfully in a VAG vehicle? - I.e runs for another 50k or more. Or any vehicle for that matter? 

Is it possible to diagnose a valve seal burning oil over piston rings? And is it worth fixing if time and skill are not a factor? 

Before you do anything else, does the car smoke at idle, and/or when picking up throttle off the overrun? If the answer to either of these is "yes" you likely have one or more worn and/or badly hardened valve stem seals.

To expand on @sepulchrave half-@$$ed reply, to establish whether or not the piston rings are worn you need a 2 part test:-

1. Dry compression test. Note the results of this.
  2. Add a tablespoonful of engine oil to each bore and repeat. If any cylinder gains more than 10% pressure in this second wet test, that cylinder has worn piston rings.
  • Love it! 1

2 minutes ago, Davidmb said:

What do you mean by this? 

Overrun = engine slowing down from high revs with throttle closed (foot off accelerator) this causes a high vacuum in the inlet manifold which will draw oil in through any leaky valve stems. Follow immediately by pressing the throttle, applying power so any oil is drawn into the cylinder and burnt causing a momentary blue or white smoke to be puffed out of the exhaust.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. If not now, see below, one day I will need the sound info for my amateur pursuits. 

Still no one answered whether anyone ever replaced piston rings successfully in a VAG vehicle? Or any vehicle? 

Anyway this is funny. My sister who drives the Fabia, who I earnestly (lots of swear words tbf,) beg to tell me if there are any changes in car - so they can be looked at, 

tonight let slip that she has been driving without 5th gear (easy fix - probably got info on this site) 

So my guess ATM is driving from Cornwall to Bristol on the motorway and back at 70 in 4th is the actual burning oil issue. 

Doing the sex proud. 

Edited by Davidmb