Replacing privacy glass

Hi Guys,

I have a 2016 Superb Exec estate that has been a private hire taxi for the last 3 years, when I purchased  the vehicle back in 2019 it had factory fitted privacy glass in all the rear windows. Because of the licensing authority's ruling on privacy glass it cost just over £1200 to buy the standard clear glass from Skoda and a further £350 to have auto glass come round and replace one for the other. I am now looking at buying a newer Superb (Euro 6) as mine has the Euro 5 diesel engine and only has 10 months taxi plate remaining before it is deemed un-clean and unworthy of a taxi plate although it flies through the governments MOT emissions test every time ? But it is what it is and we will never beat the establishment.

My question is !! will the clear glass in my 2016 model fit a new updated model or have they changed the door spec and size ? 

Hope somebody can help, thanks guys

Are you sure your 2016 Superb is Euro 5? I though all the Mk3 Superbs from mid 2015 onwards with the 150 and 190 engines were Euro 6.

Hi sheriff, thank you for that

I have just checked and would you credit it it is Euro 6, so thank you  I have just got a years reprieve as it is not ten years old yet so can stay on as a taxi

thank you :)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Leanardp said:

Hi sheriff, thank you for that

I have just checked and would you credit it it is Euro 6, so thank you  I have just got a years reprieve as it is not ten years old yet so can stay on as a taxi

thank you :)

The ban on rear privacy  glass is under review in Manchester at the moment so it's probably as well to hang on?

The 10 year rule for existing PH holders is also 1st April 2026

• Like 2