Skoda fabia 3 rear brake - how long for self adjusting

I recently had the rear brakes (drums) cleaned and replaced. Ditto cylinders and spring kit. Ensured free play in self adjusters. Mechanic properly bled them and checked grip. The brake lever was very high but holds. 

However he said that the self-adjusters would bed in after a week and lever would lower. That's not happened yet. 

Before I try adjusting the cable via the hatch under the tray between front seats. I wanted to confirm that what I was told was correct. 

They should self adjust straight away.

Press firmly on the footbrake and pull the lever a few times.

If unsuccessful then check the cables under the tray behind the handbrake lever. If the T bar is badly skewed, one of the handbrake cables may be stretched or broken.  Or one of the adjuster wedges are stuck.

If you take the wheel off you can try adjusting manually by pushing the wedge down with a suitable screwdriver through a bolt hole on the drum. (Hole positioned  offside approx at 1 oclock and nearside at 11 o'clock positions) adjust until brakes just touching the drum and back off a bit. Then recheck the cables at the T bar are now more or less level.

• Like 1

This all stuff the mechanic should have done or checked when cleaning and replacing rear brake parts.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...