ACT 2 cylinder mode

Fergusthedog

My wife has a new 2023 Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG from last summer and has yet to see the Eco symbol.  She might be driving it like F1, but I'm more inclined to think the symbol isn't being shown.  This is with the optional full 10" Virtual Cockpit rather than the smaller 8" standard version.

@Dappernut thats my thinking as well it doesnt show now in virtual cockpit last weekend was on A55 going down the big hill so no foot on gas and no symbol if was going to go into eco mode would defo do it on that hill😃

44 minutes ago, Fergusthedog said:

thats my thinking as well

Which version of VC do you have please?  The optional larger one or the 'standard' smaller one?  I drive a 2.0 TSI Kodiaq with the larger VC and that shows the Eco symbol, but it's only coasting as it doesn't have cylinder deactivation.  I'm assuming that all the 10" VC hardware is effectively the same, so I'm wondering if it's a coding thing stopping it showing?

53 minutes ago, Fergusthedog said:

@Dappernut thats my thinking as well it doesnt show now in virtual cockpit last weekend was on A55 going down the big hill so no foot on gas and no symbol if was going to go into eco mode would defo do it on that hill😃

If you take your foot off accelerator going downhill the dsg gearbox goes into coasting mode ( D shown on display with no gear number) and unlikely that 2 cyl mode will occur at same time. 
2 cyl mode occurs on light throttle/ light load on reasonable flat terrain and going down slight slopes if foot still on accelerator.

You can also hear a slight change in engine noise when 2 cyl mode kicks in.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

I too have the 1.5 TSI DSG Sportline and the only time I see the 2 cyl mode is when I have consumption in the centre of the console between the Rev counter and Speedo

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

the only time I see the 2 cyl mode

Do you mean text saying 2 cly mode?  ...and if so do you see the Eco symbol at other times/with different VC views?

On my  20231.5 TSi SE-L (smaller virtual cockpit) a blue symbol stating 'eco' lights up in the bottom right hand corner,  whenever it runs in 2 cylinder mode, irrespective of dash configuration. 

Without the symbol indicating it is running in this mode  I wouldn't otherwise be aware as there is no change in engine note.

I find it a little distracting though as I often mistake the symbol for main beam!

15 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

On my  20231.5 TSi SE-L (smaller virtual cockpit) a blue symbol stating 'eco' lights up in the bottom right hand corner,  whenever it runs in 2 cylinder mode, irrespective of dash configuration. 

Thanks for sharing.  I think this supports the view that the car can signal 2 cylinder mode to the virtual cockpit and that all versions of the virtual cockpit can reflect it in some way (full size VC can definitely display Eco on my Kodiaq), though the Karoq doesn't reflect 2 cylinder mode on the full sized VC.  I'd be quite surprised if that couldn't be addressed with some coding and I'm guessing the Karoq is always coded to work with the 8 inch VC regardless of which one is fitted.  I like guessing... 😉

ok changed centre display for VC to car data and low and behold every time it when into it 2 cylinder mode displayed in centre of dash put VC back to map and nothing so now know it works but you only know its working if you have centre of VC set right 

On 26/02/2024 at 21:13, don_kiddik said:

I too have the 1.5 TSI DSG Sportline and the only time I see the 2 cyl mode is when I have consumption in the centre of the console between the Rev counter and Speedo

Same here on my 2022 1.5 DSG SEL with the 8" Amundsen infotainment system. 

Selected using the arrows on the RHS of the steering wheel and then using the scroll wheel to choose Consumption to be displayed in the centre of the display screen.

I get the "MPG" and "2-Cyl Mode"  in the centre section and a blue (Eco) symbol in the bottom RH corner of the overall display.  

16 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Without the symbol indicating it is running in this mode  I wouldn't otherwise be aware as there is no change in engine note.

I find it a little distracting though as I often mistake the symbol for main beam!

BIB

Done that 🙂