Should I do an oil change?

Good day,

I have bought octavia vRS last week and the guy who sold me the car sad that the oil was changed 2000km ago, used 5w40.

I checked if the car uses variable or fixed servicing in the booklet that came with the car. It is variable. My car says service* in the little clock gauge. What to do? Just reset it and service it normally or change to different oil? I would prefer not to use longlife oil. Thank you for any tips.

If you reset the service indicator I believe that will switch the car over to fixed interval servicing.

It sounds like the service indicator wasn't reset at the last service, either because it wasn't showing or whoever did it didn't know how to reset it.

Whether you reset it or not you should make a note of the date/mileage that the next service should be done at so you're not relying on the service indicator. If you do reset it now you should also reset it at the next service even though it won't be showing.

I used to service mine every year or 10,000 miles and used 5W-40 502/505 spec oil. I didn't like the idea of going up to 2 years/20k between oil changes and I was DIY servicing so it was cheap to do anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings @petrolbloke @Paws4ThotThank you for reply :)

I trust that the oil change was done but didn't reset the little computer.

I will reset it then, and do the oil change with 5w40 502/505 when the time comes and will continue to do it fixed and not rely on the data on the indicator or variable servicing which I don't like the idea of.

Overall great and well looked after car!IMG_20240307_181411568_HDR.thumb.jpg.47d28342e28668e83a4f73f22697f2bd.jpg

33 minutes ago, Lutak64 said:

do the oil change with 5w40 502/505 when the time comes and will continue to do it fixed

Works: variable service is really only for cars that do high mileages of extra-urban cruising.

Incidentally, from the photo you don't live in the UK? Knowing which country you lived in would have let us give data better personalised to your circumstances, like distances in kilometres rather than miles.

• Love it! 1

No I don't I am from Croatia,

There are only a dozen mk1 vRS Octavias in my country. I heard only 5 wagons, and all I seen have not been properly cared for and thrashed mostly. 

That is why I prefer to find information about cars like here.

Thanks.

• Like 1