Recent safety recall 47u5 [heat protection mat]

i got the recall letter from skoda about the heat protection mat possibly been fitted incorrectly.

i've had a look at things under the bonnet  and taken a few photos, 

All looks good to me, even after a long run there's no heat getting to the brake fluid reservoir , the protection shield on the manifold side and the shield on the reservoir side all look correctly fitted to me.

so dont think i'll bother booking it in  😊

recall photos 001.JPG

recall photos 002.JPG

recall photos 003.JPG

They wanted mine for 4 hours to do the job - can't see that anything has changed - and the service dept was 'vague' when I asked if the mat had been changed. 

i believe the recall is only for dsg cars 

i'm wondering why dsg and not manual, they both have master cylinders, the manual cars will have a connection off  the reservoir for the clutch which the dsg doesnt have or need.

otherwise they are both the same

4 hours ago, numskull said:

Thanks. Which version/engine does this affect? 

2020 - 2024 dsg cars

Had mine in for the recall today . when asked what was done the dealer told me it the protection mat has been re- fitted. I noticed on the record it says "recall 47U5 - criterion 1 "  

Cheers

Hi numskull.

Today there were two other people waiting with me having their recall investigated. I drive a 2.0TSI 190  hatch and one of the others has a 2.0TDI 190  estate   so I would assume the 

answer to your question would be yes, Petrol and diesel 

Cheers

On 15/03/2024 at 19:32, 310golfr said:

i believe the recall is only for dsg cars 

i'm wondering why dsg and not manual, they both have master cylinders, the manual cars will have a connection off  the reservoir for the clutch which the dsg doesnt have or need.

otherwise they are both the same

The master cylinder is the same, the manual take off has a rubber hose on it to the master cylinder for the clutch pedal.

Whereas the DSG has the same take off but it has been crimped shut with an ultrasonic machine. The heat is causing the thin plastic at the ultrasonic joint to open up and dump the brake fluid out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Folks - I booked mine in at a dealer in NI. Day before it was booked in got a call from Service Dept to say don’t bother coming as the heat mats are on back order… Convenient? I’m an old cynic…

Anybody else found this? 

Dsg only but petrol and diesel are affected, different criteria’s need different actions, some are a visual only, others require a addition heat pad fitting behind the current heat mat and some require both a heat mat and a pad fitting to the plastic take off, also the reason for some dealers wanting the car for a long time is the dpf or opf gets stinking hot and access is poor to do the job and techs don’t have asbestos hands lol 

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, sherlocks VRS said:

Dsg only but petrol and diesel are affected, different criteria’s need different actions, some are a visual only, others require a addition heat pad fitting behind the current heat mat and some require both a heat mat and a pad fitting to the plastic take off, also the reason for some dealers wanting the car for a long time is the dpf or opf gets stinking hot and access is poor to do the job and techs don’t have asbestos hands lol 

So do you think they cancelled because they didn’t have the time? Not quite sure if this was a direct answer to my question lol

3 hours ago, aaflyer said:

So do you think they cancelled because they didn’t have the time? Not quite sure if this was a direct answer to my question lol

Not trying to answer your question, I don’t know why your dealer cancelled, that’s something you need to contact your dealer and find out why, it could be a number of reasons, but any of the criteria’s set by Skoda need at least a visual inspection to know what actions need to be taken, we do loads and some are literally a visual check but some are mats and heat pads, just need the engine to be cold to fit the mats as you can seriously burn yourself 

1 hour ago, sherlocks VRS said:

Not trying to answer your question, I don’t know why your dealer cancelled, that’s something you need to contact your dealer and find out why, it could be a number of reasons, but any of the criteria’s set by Skoda need at least a visual inspection to know what actions need to be taken, we do loads and some are literally a visual check but some are mats and heat pads, just need the engine to be cold to fit the mats as you can seriously burn yourself 

i'm not gonna bother taking my car in to get checked as  i've checked it myself  

i had a look at the crimped connection coming of the tank , which i believe is the problem on some cars and it's protected by the heat mat but it all looks a bit heath robinson to me

it stinks of cost cutting to use tanks which are designed for manual cars , they could have at least used a proper blank end or cap

your right about the access, i was going to put a bit of  heat proof wrapping tape over the crimped connector just for extra protection but it was difficult to get in there so i did'nt bother.

7 hours ago, 310golfr said:

i had a look at the crimped connection coming of the tank , which i believe is the problem on some cars and it's protected by the heat mat but it all looks a bit heath robinson to me

it stinks of cost cutting to use tanks which are designed for manual cars , they could have at least used a proper blank end or cap

your right about the access, i was going to put a bit of  heat proof wrapping tape over the crimped connector just for extra protection but it was difficult to get in there so i did'nt bother.

Think you may be missing the point @310golfr, by taking your car in and getting the recall recorded in your service record .irrespective of what the dealer actually does you are covering yourself /the car should now anything untoward happen. You will have a  problem with any insurance claim and when selling the car someone could flag up that it has recalls outstanding which could affect the decision to buy, Just a thought?

• Like 1

Simples.

The Manufacturers Warranty if you have  valid one requires you to act when there are Recalls.

VW Group forget that when they mess up they should pay the Cars Keeper the hourly rate dealerships usually charge to do work to the person taking the car in.

Or minimum their fuel cost and they can pay for the next Dealership Service.

VW Penny / Euro / Cent pinch time after time and it is always the customer inconvenienced, or baring the expense of them being at it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sherlocks VRS said:

The question i originally asked was: are we aware of a shortage of heat mats? That’s why they cancelled.
They told me this on the phone. 

Just wondering if this was the “real” reason , as they’d booked me in 3 weeks previously and then last minute rang to say. Maybe I’m old and cynical! 

3 hours ago, Stonechip said:

Think you may be missing the point @310golfr, by taking your car in and getting the recall recorded in your service record .irrespective of what the dealer actually does you are covering yourself /the car should now anything untoward happen. You will have a  problem with any insurance claim and when selling the car someone could flag up that it has recalls outstanding which could affect the decision to buy, Just a thought?

there's lots of cars out there that should have had recall checks but for various reasons it never gets done.

for insurance purposes, the insurance company would need to prove that you actually knew about the recall and refused to have it checked.

the letters that vag send out to owners are not sent recorded delivery with a signature required, so there is no proof that you actually got the letter and if you did'nt get a letter how would you no about any recall.

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Simples.

The Manufacturers Warranty if you have  valid one requires you to act when there are Recalls.

VW Group forget that when they mess up they should pay the Cars Keeper the hourly rate dealerships usually charge to do work to the person taking the car in.

Or minimum their fuel cost and they can pay for the next Dealership Service.

VW Penny / Euro / Cent pinch time after time and it is always the customer inconvenienced, or baring the expense of them being at it.

thats exactly it, the inconvenience made even worse with the 2 local dealers being parks and arnold clark and there's no way my cars going in there  😂

• Love it! 1

11 hours ago, 310golfr said:

it stinks of cost cutting to use tanks which are designed for manual cars

It's good design.

15 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

the letters that vag send out to owners are not sent recorded delivery with a signature required, so there is no proof that you actually got the letter and if you did'nt get a letter how would you no about any recall.

You know.

11 hours ago, 310golfr said:

The Recall when a DVLA Safety Critical one will or should appear on the DVLA MOT check site. (Supposedly i read, i did read the supposedly is them, the DfT or DVSA want it compulsory recalls are done pre MOT,s) 

Each new Registered Keeper that get a car with an Outstanding Recall, should be getting the Letter as long as the Recall Action is not flagged as carried out. 

The Skoda / VW Recall Actions are a different kettle of worms. (For catching Phish, they are p!ss) 

There are even Skoda Approved Used cars that get handed over without actions carried out.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-campaigns

As to the Safety Critical Recalls.  Proper ones where the DVLA give VW Group the registered keepers details and then it might be months before Main Dealers can do the Workshop Action.

The DfT should tell Skoda / VW etc.  No more PDI,s or deliveries of new cars or used vehicles until you clear your backlog of RECALL work, & Warranty Work where they have put out cars knowing there are issues and are going to sort out later.

When it was Fines / Penalties maybe coming their way with the Defeat Device Scandal and The Fix they got Mobile Techs out and about.

Just as they should do with most Recalls now where the workshop visit is not required.  Visual check and an easy FIX. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 310golfr said:

there's lots of cars out there that should have had recall checks but for various reasons it never gets done.

for insurance purposes, the insurance company would need to prove that you actually knew about the recall and refused to have it checked.

That would be great logic if you had not told everyone the facts in a forum!!

• Like 1