Seeking Advice on Upgrading Infotainment System for Skoda Octavia Elegance

I've been thoroughly enjoying my Skoda Octavia Elegance, which has been running smoothly for some time now. However, there's one aspect that's been bothering me lately: the lack of Android Auto functionality due to my MIB1 5E0035874A system.

From what I understand, my current MIB1 system doesn't support larger screens, which means I'd need to upgrade to MIB 2 or 2.5 to enjoy Android Auto and a bigger display, necessitating the removal of CP. Unfortunately, this upgrade comes at a significant cost, ranging from £700 to well over a thousand pounds.

In exploring alternatives, I came across a module box manufactured by Ebilaen, which can be installed between the screen and the glovebox unit. Priced at around £150, this option promises to retain all current car functionalities while seamlessly integrating Android Auto:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004199215635.html?spm=a2g0o.best.0.0.40b52c25noM564&mp=1

However, opting for this solution means I'll still be stuck with the same small screen. Another option that caught my eye are these Chinese 10.1 Android Car Radios, which not only offer a larger, more visually appealing display but also fulfill all my requirements, including Android Auto integration. However, I'm unsure if there might be any limitations in functionality compared to my current MIB system.

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you might have regarding the best course of action. With numerous companies selling these products, it's challenging to discern which one offers the most reliable and feature-rich solution.

I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the following product:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315176410113

Your insights and guidance on selecting the optimal upgrade path would be immensely valuable.

Thank you for your assistance and expertise.

Stay away from those devices.

I have been very active on a thread here on the ebilaen unit.

I tried to tame it for almost 6 months.

The unit itself runs Very well but :

- phone call quality is really bad, people don't hear you when the car is moving. I had to put a noise cancelling mic

- android auto is emulated. The apps run good but forget the voice recognition. It doesn't work at all

- you will loose almost all the car settings options and all the car error codes

-the usb port will not work unless you splice and repin the power wires

on the other hand, apps work great, gps, dab....

Better go for a mib 2 it is what I ended doing 

• Like 1

Thank you Nicky . I have already ordered one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186123072112 . I will test it and see if it meets my requirements.

Good thing is that I can return for free without any postage cost . 

I would definitely like to go for a MIB2 but unfortunately I can not justify spending over a 1k on a car that now is valuated at around 5-6 k

Believe me you will return it.

They mention dab but there is no tuner. You will need a usb tuner and a fakra to dma to connect the car dab antenna to the usb tuner to tje unit.

You can also use another fakra to sma to connect the car gps antenna to the unit which is better than the provided GPS antenna.

• Like 1

Thank you Nicky for your advice . How much did you paid for your MIB2 in the end ?

Which screen did you paired with ?

On 19/03/2024 at 09:34, Isleman said:

Thank you Nicky . I have already ordered one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186123072112 . I will test it and see if it meets my requirements.

Good thing is that I can return for free without any postage cost . 

I would definitely like to go for a MIB2 but unfortunately I can not justify spending over a 1k on a car that now is valuated at around 5-6 k

If you speak with @pab567, he might be able to provide you a good value MIB2 unit for your car.  Try and stick with VAG MIB 2 / 2.5 systems; going third party is a bad idea (because you look connectivity to loads of in-car systems and settings)

• Like 1