Key fob battery

BTandSid

We’ve a 2020 Sportline and had the low key-fob battery warning pop up, it seems to be the fob that Significant Other carries around in her bag in case we ever need it (I’ve only known her drive twice in the past 15 years 😏) ‘My’ key fob’s ok, but must remember to alternate usage in future.

I digress . . . . our fobs have the 2025 battery and yet I’ve read posts on here suggesting the 2032 is correct? Or do they vary across the Skoda range? Thought the difference was purely the thickness in which case the 2032 looks as if it’ll be a tight fit in the fob.

Update - just found a YouTube item pointing out the battery size is stamped on the inside of the fob which I wasn’t aware of and didn’t see without my glasses on 😂 Seems I need the thinner one, the 2025 

Edited by BTandSid

Some people squeeze the 2032 in - I considered it for daughter's Ateca, which went through a spell of eating keyless fob batteries, but I was worried the fob would burst open if she dropped it (she's forever dropping her keys).

Trouble with 2025's is they seem very marginal in terms of power / voltage for these keys, and these button call  batteries get faked a lot.  People often report having to try several batteries before one works, and then it not lasting long.

I read Energiser work well so got some from what apeared to be a reliable supplier (but you never really know).  The first one lasted 12mths and just changed it - she was never getting 12mths out of the batteries before.

Panasonic batteries are ok, use them in my Mazda fobs. Those fobs can sometimes give connection problems for the battery, a quick tweak of the connection prongs and all working again. So have a look inside, could be poor connection with the battery.

Incidentally my SEAT fob is still working fine, 10 years on with it's original battery.

They must be making cheapo batteries these days.

43 minutes ago, MickA said:

Incidentally my SEAT fob is still working fine, 10 years on with it's original battery.

They must be making cheapo batteries these days.

We just sold an 8yr old Tiguan without keyless and I'd never changed the battery in its fobs.

I just realised the OP didn't say the car was keyless - I assumed it was.   With the early keyless fobs they were transmitting all the time - hence people putting them in Faraday cases etc.   The newer ones (think it changed 2019/20) are motion sensitive and they partially shut down, so should last a little better.  

The newer ones (think it changed 2019/20) are motion sensitive and they partially shut down, so should last a little better.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference. Yes, they may shut down transmission but there's now a motion detection circuit which is live all the time!

Certainly both my 2021 Kessy fobs (with CR2032s) needed batteries changing just before 2 yrs.

• Like 1

I bought a couple of Duracell 2025 this morning and have swapped out the one in the fob that Significant Other carries about ‘just in case’. They were both replaced by the dealer when we bought the car a year ago so I suspect that battery has died through lack of use as she’s not driven for well over 10 years. Think I’ll have to get into the habit of alternating use between that fob and the one I use daily.